Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Before and after bath picts of rescued texel

sbadaracco

Cavy Slave
I am a foster parent from the Portland Guinea Pig Rescue in Portland, OR and just picked up this texel and her girlfriend. Here are the before and after bath picts of Penelope - and let this be a lesson as to why not all people should own a guinea pig, much less a long haired guinea pig, much less a texel! It is hard to believe it is the same pig.
Penelope before.jpgPenelope after.jpg

Cavyhappy

Cavy Gazer
I am a foster parent from the Portland Guinea Pig Rescue in Portland, OR and just picked up this texel and her girlfriend. Here are the before and after bath picts of Penelope - and let this be a lesson as to why not all people should own a guinea pig, much less a long haired guinea pig, much less a texel! It is hard to believe it is the same pig.
View attachment 75327View attachment 75328

Super awesome...i love my texels...if you put a little baby oil on those curls, then you will fall in love child.20150709_012735.jpg

sbadaracco

Cavy Slave
actually I used coconut oil - great minds think alike!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't think the before photo looks bad at all. You'll find that if you brush a texel a lot, their hair straightens. When you wash and crimp it with your fingers, it looks curly. The before photo looks like a texel that has had a lot of brushing and had its hair trimmed. It actually looks very clean. I'm sure the rescue took very good care of it.

just8be8free

Cavy Slave

sbadaracco

Cavy Slave
No, she was disgusting and had matts so bad on her underside that we had to shave her tush. She didn't come from a rescue - we are the rescue that took her in. The owner had never bathed or brushed her she said so the curls were pulled out from all the grime imbedded in it. If a piggy goes from yellow to white - that's not good - LOL

sbadaracco

Cavy Slave
see my comment below...

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
The first picture looks like a beige or cream pig. Amazing difference.

sbadaracco

Cavy Slave
I also wanted to add that the owner was a young teen who had gotten both girls a year earlier as "a reward for being responsible" according to her mom and now they are going on vacation in a couple of weeks and their piggy sitter canceled so the mom said to the daughter "well are we done with them?" and so they put them on craigslist which is how they came to our attention at the Portland Guinea Pig Rescue. So much for teaching her kid about responsibility!

Nilda

Cavy Slave
So sad! She's such a pretty girl!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I still don't think she looks that bad. The rescue I volunteer with has taken in guinea pigs from hoarding situations and some really bad situations where guinea pigs didn't make it. I think some of the worst cases were those with really bad mite infestations.

Texels are really a lot of work and I think people assume they look pretty all the time without much care. It's a good thing she was surrendered. It's probably best in the long run since it could've ended up a lot worse.

sbadaracco

Cavy Slave
oh absolutely, we have seen worse but this color transformation was worth posting - a piggy makeover!

sbadaracco

Cavy Slave
Pippin before.jpgPippin after.jpg
I also have another texel boy that was rescued out of the back of a pickup truck where he and 7 other boys were left for 2 days in an orange crate - no food or water. His name is Pippin and he has pneumonia he is currently on meds for and was very underweight. The woman who found them didn't know anything about piggies so she brushed out all his curls and cut his fur do to severe matting. We waited till he was stronger before bathing him - all 7 had lice of course too and have been treated. Since Pippin was brushed I just have to wait for his fur to grow out to get the curl back but here is his before and then current photos - they are a month apart. He is a work in progress until his hair grows out more.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
She does look like a before and after tooth whitening commercial. :D

Texel hair can be a massive pain to maintain, and she has curls still in the after photo, so I'd say she wasn't neglected as much as some other long-haired piggies I've seen where a complete, all-over matted hair removal "operation" is required. Kind of like with Pippin... he looks very sweet, I'm glad he's with you getting lots of TLC.

sbadaracco

Cavy Slave
no thankfully it was just yellowing, umm, well whatever makes white hair yellow (lets not think about it). Neither her or her girlfriend were ever handled so Penelope is a historical mess when we have to catch her so working on earning her trust before we can find them a home.

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
All these texels are gorgeous!!! What did you use for shampoo to get Penelope so white? I recently adopted a Peruvian and she's definitely in need of a bath for the yellow fur issue, but I'm not sure how to get it out.

pinky

Cavy Slave
She does look like a before and after tooth whitening commercial. :D

Texel hair can be a massive pain to maintain, and she has curls still in the after photo, so I'd say she wasn't neglected as much as some other long-haired piggies I've seen where a complete, all-over matted hair removal "operation" is required. Kind of like with Pippin... he looks very sweet, I'm glad he's with you getting lots of TLC.

I think the yellowing has more to do with the color of the background against her fur and where the shadow is in each photo. You have complimentary colors at play in the photos. White often looks like the opposite color in the spectrum against the color it's surrounded by. I have a male that often looks yellow in photos, depending on what color I photograph him on or it his fur is in shadow. You'll see discoloration from urine and droppings under a guinea pig, where it sits or lays, more than on the top of the fur. The guinea pig's shadow is in front in the first photo and behind her in the second photo.

Last edited:

sbadaracco

Cavy Slave
yah, no, she was yellow

pinky

Cavy Slave
Both guinea pigs look really pretty in the after photos. You could consider doing piggy grooming as a fund raiser for your rescue.

sbadaracco

Cavy Slave
That is so sweet, and such a great idea! I can do the haircuts, shampoos, and blowdrys and my partner in the rescue can do the nails, ears, and boar cleanings - yes I am sure she will definitely go for that - LOL. Seriously it is a great idea and I am happy to help with the gooey parts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.