Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Are there behavior differences between boars & sows?

blueberry

Cavy Slave
**guinea pig newbie alert!**

Is there a difference in behavior between boars and sows? Would you say one is better suited for a newbie than the other?

I've also heard that sows are easier to introduce to each other than boars. Is this true? If it is, do you think it's a good idea to adopt a single boar and then adopt a different one and introduce them, or would you say that I should either do the same with sows or just adopt a bonded pair of boars?

(apologies about all the questions! :eek:)

Each pig has a different personality. Some have said that adolescent boars paired together tend to get into more scuffles, but I have seen the same happen with sows. I have also seen every imaginable pairing go poorly, so there is really no safe "yes, if you pair this with that it will work for sure" scenario.

Had I known at the time, I would have originally adopted a pair that was already bonded, and probably over a year old. They start to mellow by that time and older pigs tend to be a bit more cuddly and easier for new owners to handle.

I agree with SurfingPigs, each pig's personality is different.. And I applaud you for doing your research before hand blueberry! When I first got mine I was way in over my head and totally clueless! So good for you! :cheerful:
I had 3 females, now down to two because one passed away last night :weepy: But my first two, Wednesday and Vanek, would leap at each other and battle! They never drew any blood thankfully (but I broke it up the minute the squabble began so I didn't give them much time to..) but it was still mega scary.
If you find this is the case when you get two same sex pigs (won't work for everybody! But it has for some..) try putting them through a "tramatic event" that they have to go through together.. Not a legitimate tramatic event! But I have heard of people putting their pigs that squabble in the bath tub together with some water already in the tub, and bathing them. It removes the scent and makes them smell fresh and just like each other (Guinea pig safe shampoos though!), and I *think* most pigs hate baths? I know mine don't care for it, so they will probably huddle together frightened by the experience, then clean the cage/room youre trying to put them in, remove ALL scents and give the introduction another shot..
My poor Wednesday and Vanek went through a tramatic event together and it brought them together because they were FORCED to unite! While I was working 4 - 9 my kitty somehow managed to get into my bedroom and stir up some ruckas! THANK GOD my pigs heads were bigger than my cats mouth (my cat has an abnormally small head! haha :tearsofjo) and probably too heavy for her to pick up, I got LUCKY. but both Wednesday and Vanek jumped out of their cage on TOP of the cage and covered themselves in a sweatshirt I had placed on top.. Poor things could have been hiding there for HOURS by the time I found them! :sad: but I immediately saw they tolerated each others company, stayed up aaaaall night and built them a whole new cage, and they were together ever since! I would still hear them growling, rumblestrutting, and all that dominance establishing crap, but they never fought again after that moment!
So give the bath a shot! I'm going to give it a try since Vanek's cage buddy, Wednesday died last night, Both V & W hated my other guinea Applebean, but maybe since Vanek's a bit lonely I can get them to live together.. we'll see!

but good luck! And definitely look through all the forums, there is some GREAT advice here, especially advice on illnesses you should know already BEFORE hand so you aren't caught off guard (like I was with poor Wednesday :sad:) incase something happens! That way you'll know if youre able to financially afford a pair or if it's worth it to you.

Thank you for the advice! I'm so sorry to hear about Wednesday. :sad:

Not a problem! And thank you, it's sad, and my pigs are so sad too.. But fortunately they're still eating (so worried Wednesdays cage mate Vanek would stop because I hear its common when a pig is lost) it's just a little bit quieter in the room now :sad:
But I am hoping this means my Vanek and Applebean can be introduced and live together now! Nobody liked Applebean when I got her, Wednesday hated her the most surprisingly (Wednesday was my submissive, sweet girl) Vanek is pretty dominent but as long as they don't argue and Applebean allows Vanek to be head pig, all should go well.. I'll probably try my advice to you in a few days too! So hopefully it works! hah lol

I've found males to be more affectionate with me than females, but maybe that's just me? :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.