Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Are my piggies Too fat?

Gasai Fabricio

Cavy Slave
So, from the 4 girsl i have now(1 is pregnant and in quarantine period) my other 3 girls weight is: 1270 grams, 1150 grams, and 1123 grams. The fattest one looks more chubby than the pregnant one :D
Is there a way to make them lose a bit weight? They live free-roam in my 4m x 6m room covered by fleece, so they have space to run, which they do all the time.

It's weird that the "fattest" of the males i have in another room is just 880 grams. They boars all look like babies compared to my girls :D

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They don't need to lose weight. Those are fine. It's almost impossible for a guinea pig to be overweight unless it's fed too many pellets or has a mobility problem that keeps it from moving.

Guinea pigs come in all shapes and sizes, just like people do. Your boars may just be a smaller breed of pig.

But I do hope you're not breeding them. Pregnancy is very hard on guinea pig sows, and the death rate for sows and pups is high. They're also susceptible to a number of painful, possibly fatal, genetic conditions, and should never be deliberately bred.

Gasai Fabricio

Cavy Slave
Thk for the info bpatters. mobility i don't think is a problem since they run all day.

Ah no, the pregnant one i rescued her alrdy pregnant(55 days ago still no pups) the males are in another room always from the females ^^

Rywen

Cavy Slave
My boar, Ferb, is 1100g and my sow, Penny, is 1325g, so it's not unusual. My other sow, Trixie, is not full grown yet but she's almost 1100g now. Penny definitely has a longer body than my other 2, she can stretch to the top of a 14" grid, the other 2 can't.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.