Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Are hammocks safe?

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I was thinking of getting StandsForTreats a hammock, because he likes to climb and to snuggle in things. (He has most other kinds of beds, I just want to give him some more variety). I was wondering, though - are they safe? I only ask because I could imagine him jumping into it and not making it (and then falling), or getting tangled in the straps somehow. Has anyone experienced anything like this happening?

Thanks a lot for your input!

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I think some people on guinea lynx use them, but they keep them low so they can't fall.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I have a coner hammock in my cage and my piggies are able to jump up on it and hide under it as well, and I have had no problems with it. It is only 6 inches high.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They are safe. You just have to hang them pretty low so the pigs don't have problems climbing into them. I've used them before myself but the pigs often ignored them. I always hung mine no higher than 3" off the cage floor.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Thanks, everyone! I hadn't thought of making a corner hammock. I could probably just tie a triangle of fleece into the corner to make a hammock/"roof". That would eliminate the strap issue, too!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Last edited:

natashia

Cavy Slave
I had one for a while, but as others have said, I kept mine really low.
I made a corner hammock following the instructions above.

At first I had it about 4 inches off the floor of the cage, but neither of my guys were interested in it then. I moved it down to about 2 inches off the floor so that when they slept in it, it touched the floor, and it was much more popular then!

As long as it's not too high, I don't see the problem :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.