Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Kitchen Area

kimscoppa

Cavy Gazer
Hi! What does everyone use in their kitchen area? I currently am using kiln dried pine & it's a little messy. Does anyone use the cage liners?
Thank you for any & all suggestions :)

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
Wood pellets. I try to scoop the soiled hay off every day and then stir the pellets and use till most pellets are totally broken up before I refresh.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I have homemade pads about the size of placemats. One side is fleece, the other plain woven fabric and a middle layer that’s a thin kitchen towel. I use the woven side up for a hay pile. It’s absorbent and the hay doesn’t stick to it. If I need a wee pad for cage corners, I flip the fleece side up. At the end of the day, shake it outside and throw it in the wash.

kimscoppa

Cavy Gazer
I have homemade pads about the size of placemats. One side is fleece, the other plain woven fabric and a middle layer that’s a thin kitchen towel. I use the woven side up for a hay pile. It’s absorbent and the hay doesn’t stick to it. If I need a wee pad for cage corners, I flip the fleece side up. At the end of the day, shake it outside and throw it in the wash.
Hi, thanks for the feedback :) So you change the pads out everyday? I was thinking of ordering a few fleece liners with the uhaul absorbent pads in them but wasn't sure if people used them for the kitchen area. My 2 pigs pee a ton. 😁 Thank you again for the feedback :)

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
The little pads I change out each day, or more often if they get wet. My pigs mostly used the corners of the cage and the food areas for a toilet, so the rest of the fleece stayed pretty clean.

kimscoppa

Cavy Gazer
Do you put pads in the kitchen area? What kind? TY! :)

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I sew the pads myself. They are 3 layers. One side is fleece, the other side is woven cotton like quilt fabric, and the inside layer is a lightweight kitchen towel. I make them different sizes, but the size of a placemat is nice for a hay pile. They’re soft and absorbent and easy to wash.

kimscoppa

Cavy Gazer
I sew the pads myself. They are 3 layers. One side is fleece, the other side is woven cotton like quilt fabric, and the inside layer is a lightweight kitchen towel. I make them different sizes, but the size of a placemat is nice for a hay pile. They’re soft and absorbent and easy to wash.
That is awesome. I will have to get the supplies & try that. Thank you. :)

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
IMG_0743.jpg

Here is a picture of a hay pile on top of one of the pads I sew. They’re easy to make, and you can sometimes find remnants or scraps so they’re economical.