Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Anti-Pill or Blizzard

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Hello

So today I've got a quick question - when buying fleece, is it better to go with the anti-pill or the blizzard? I have been reading through a couple of threads on this topic but I wanted to get a few more opinions. So far, I've read that someone liked the blizzard fleece better because it lasts longer, and another said that their blizzard fleece took forever to wick. In my experience, I think I've been buying only anti-pill....... and after using it a couple of times I notice the fabric becomes very dingey and the little pieces of hay stick to the fleece and do not come off in the wash. Also, things like pee, poop and veggies stains mostly stay on the fleece! The stains fade a bit in the wash, but the liners don't come out fully clean!

I'm planning on changing the size of my guinea pigs' cage (I'm going to get it back up on a stand again; it will be a 2x6 and 3x5 L-shape (9x3 overall)) soon and I'll need to buy more fleece, of course :)

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
when buying fleece, is it better to go with the anti-pill or the blizzard?

Ah, a subject near-and-dear to my heart. I definitely have an opinion about the subject. lol

My liners are so old that they are beginning to fall apart from repeat laundering and bleach. They are at least five years old so I've had plenty of time to observe how they function and the different characteristics of blizzard vs. anti-pill fleece.

In general, I agree with your assessment of the limitations of anti-pill. Blizzard wins hands-down for me: 1) Blizzard fleece is a tighter weave and more durable, 2) The anti-pill is a looser weave and must feel like towels to the cavies because they tend to poop and pee all over the cage. We use towels for lap time and the boys know that it's o.k. to relieve themselves if need be. 3) We both have noticed a marked difference in the cleanliness of the cage when the blizzard liners are in use, 4) I never had any difficulty in getting either fleece to wick, 5) I buy my fleece at JoAnn's and they don't carry many different patterns in blizzard, 6) I found a dark background pattern that I can live with and bought lots of that fleece to make new liners, and best of all, BLACK FRIDAY IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER! :cool: I try to buy everything I will need from JoAnn to last the entire year.

I desperately need to make new liners, but have been putting it off because I'm considering switching to a closet-shelving cage to eek out a few extra inches in the available space.

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave
I have bought both before and the blizzard didn't absorb the guinea pig urine the first time I used it, but after it went through the wash, it wicked just fine. So now, either one works for me. Although, I do notice that the blizzard has a better cloth quality than the anti-pill.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.