Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Carefresh Fleece or Carefresh?

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Hello! I've been using fleece on my piggies for about thee years now and I'm debating on changing to care fresh. I know that it might cost more money, but washing the fleece over, and over again is making my washing machine dirty. Does carefresh bedding smell less?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
What do you do to the fleece before washing? I shake off all the hay/poop and take a brush to it to remove everything else. The washer still gets some loose hay, but a washer should be cleaned regularly anyway to avoid build up from pigs and humans. I switched from Carefresh to Fleece...with 4 boars, it's just a lot cheaper/easier.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
I do clean out my washer and dryer every time. I also shake off all the poops and hay before I wash the fleece. BUT according to my parents it’s making all of our other clothes smell like guinea pigs. Is there a way to prevent this? Also, my mom has been complaining of smell so she thinks that carefresh might smell less, is this true? Personally I feel like my guinea pigs don’t smell at all but I don’t know.

Also, how do you spot clean bedding? Usually I use my mini vacuum cleaner, but you obviously can’t use that on bedding.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are you washing the fleece in hot water with bleach? I never had a problem with the washer smelling after washing fleece.

The other thing you can do run a low water hot water cycle with bleach after washing the fleece.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I use fleece and have about three loads a week with no issues. I use the delicate cycle when I wash the waterproof bed pads that I use under the fleece. Delicate fills the tub with more water. Otherwise I use the heavy duty cycle. Lately I’ve been adding vinegar in the bleach dispenser for all my loads.

There is usually some hay left behind, but I haven’t had any problems with smell. You could always try selecting an extra rinse if that’s an option on your machine.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can also wash the fleece in pillow cases to trap the hay and hair inside the case.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
That’s a great idea! I’ll try it in the pillow cases. I can’t believe I’ve never thought of that.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
There's gpig laundry bags you can buy on Amazon too... I had a used one but I found it didn't work very well. Another thing to consider with carefresh is the mess. When I used paper bedding, I always had little pieces of it everywhere on my floor, carpet and tracked to anything it would stick to

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Yeah, that’s a good point. I think I’ll try the laundry bags first. Thank you so much!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.