Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hiding Afraid of heat stroke

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

4piggers

Cavy Slave
Could you put a frozen bottle under there for him? Or put a marble tile?

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
You can buy one of those granite slabs they have for chin-chillas, and put it under there. Thats what my cage has.

(broken link removed)

They naturally stay below room temperature. This was the compromise choice with the hubby, for not leaving the air conditioning on when we were at work.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I think you can get a free granite slab if you call granite suppliers and ask if they have scrap pieces they're throwing away.

4piggers

Cavy Slave
I think you can get a free granite slab if you call granite suppliers and ask if they have scrap pieces they're throwing away.

Yea do that ^ or just go to home depot (or whatever store you have in your area) and get one. Much cheaper then the ones they sell *designed* for pets. All they did was put a picture of a chin on there and bump the price 110%!

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
Now I don't know about that. I just went to the home depot website, did a search for "granite" and all that came up was $20 stuff as opposed to 5.99, 8.99, and 6.99 for a chin chiller which came up from a quick search in goggle.

Home Depot search
(broken link removed)

Google results
chin chiller - Google Search

Now the chin-chiller is only 12 inches long vs. 20 inches, but piggies are shorter even stretched out than 12 inches long. There's several suppliers so you can pick the one thats not a petstore. But heck I'd check a home depot in my area first if I didn't want to pay shipping and wanted to pay $20.

4piggers

Cavy Slave
Now I don't know about that. I just went to the home depot website, did a search for "granite" and all that came up was $20 stuff as opposed to 5.99, 8.99, and 6.99 for a chin chiller which came up from a quick search in goggle.

Home Depot search
(broken link removed)

Google results
chin chiller - Google Search

Now the chin-chiller is only 12 inches long vs. 20 inches, but piggies are shorter even stretched out than 12 inches long. There's several suppliers so you can pick the one thats not a petstore. But heck I'd check a home depot in my area first if I didn't want to pay shipping and wanted to pay $20.

Are you sure they didnt hide the cost of the *free* shipping into that?
I bought 2 large squares, and it barely cost me $10 for the both tax included.

I would def shop around.

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
Also what I'm going to start doing this summer for my piggies. They are in the living room which has the air conditioner, so they don't need their chin-chillers at night.

I'm going to swap out the chin-chillers, and put them in the fridge, which the manufacturer says is fine, and then give them back to them when they get their hay in the morning, all cool. Or I might buy a second set of Chin-chillers I haven't decided yet.

4piggers

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
Looks cool. Although I also couldn't find the price of shipping one granite tile without actually buying one and the actual cost of the squares is the sample price not the list price of 4.95, which for if you're making an entire floor. Of course this is because their shipping calculator told me that it would cost $101 or so because they think I'm doing an entire floor.

1-5 $9.95 each 6-10 $7.95 each 11+ $6.95 each

So the google search calculates the chinchiller $15.98 with tax and shipping from Dr. Fosters and Smith. Small Pet Beds & Bedding: Super Pet Chin-Chiller

I'd buy a cuddle cup and pay shipping all together. So its up in the air which one is cheaper, and mine cost 5.99 before shipping was added. Heck it might even be different if I didn't live in Cleveland.

See if you can figure out sample shipping rates, I can't seem to find them.

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
But you did prove what the standard chin-chiller granite is. Its the (broken link removed)
the cheapest granite on the site, basically one of those tiles sliced in half.

I actually kinda like the salt and pepper coloring in general. (I had a guinea pig with a bladder problem, and I spotted the blood in his urine on his chin-chiller right away.)

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can also look on Craigsist. Sometimes people give away free scrap pieces of granite after their home remodeling projects.

I guess you can tell by now. I like free stuff :D

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I live in very hot country. I have lost pigs due to the heat. GP's do not like the the temp much above 80 degrees. I leave an A/C unit on at all times when the temp inside my house is above 80 degrees. I also have fans going so if the A/C stops for any reason (which it has done.) I freeze water bottles and aways have them available and in the cage. You can buy floor tiles and they do help piggies stay cool. I place mine under the water bottles so the water drips onto them and when it is hot the pigs will lay on the tile.

goldbryant

Cavy Slave
Any ideas about what to do about pigs who won't lay near a frozen water bottle or on a tile? We had a bizarre heat wave come through here a few days ago. I put both in the cage. They of course wanted nothing to do with them. I even put the tile up against the carefresh box which is under the hay rack so they have to at least walk on it to get to the kitchen. They act like Bambi on ice when walking across it. I even took the pigloos out because 1) I would imagine it was really, really hot inside them, and 2)without the pigloos, they would have to find another place to lay down, hopefully on the tile or next to the water bottle. Now I know I could put the tile under the pigloos, but then they will be laying in pee all day. And yes, I could find smaller water bottles that could fit inside the pigloos and maybe use footstools or fleece tents instead for ventilation.

Any other ideas?

TheCraftyFaerie

Cavy Slave
With heat stroke being an issue is it wise to use fleece bedding during the summer?

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
Your piggies probely would like the water bottles better if you wrapped them in a towel, paper towel, or a peice of fleece. Mine did.

I don't think fleece is a problem in the summer, as long as you give the guinea pigs cool things like frozen water bottles or slabs to lay against when they get hot. I also would set it up so they can't get under the fleece, by holding the corners down with bricks which they can also lay against. What I do is run the AC at night, keep everything closed up when I leave, and close the blinds. It doesn't get to hot then even in the middle of the day in my 6th floor Cleveland appartment. Plus the chin-chillers and the bricks and I'm good to go. If it supposed to get really hot I add frozen waterbottles.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.