Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior In heat or dominance?

Melichat

Cavy Slave
For context, i have 5 females piggies, and 1 of them, the 3rd in age, she is around 4-5 months, usually when she is in heat the rumble strutting and chasing last around 12 to 15 hours MAX, but right now, for the past 2 full weeks she have been rumble strutting and trying to mount the boss like... easily 10 times a day, and sometimes at the others, but not nearly as much, and the boss obviously fight back kicking her and peeing on her. i doubt heat can last 2 full weeks, could it be possible she is trying to be the boss? and also, the 4rd in age, she is around 3 months and a half, she doesn't rumble strut at all, but she keep mounting the boss face and basically either standing there or humping. and the boss don't care at all and just let her do it, I've never seen this EVER from basically a baby so this is... very different from what i've EVER seen. i am sure they are all females, they got sexed at the vet too. did this ever happen to anyone and what happened as they aged?

My cage is 9 feet long by 3 feet wide, they have 6 hides, 5 beds, 4 water bottles only but i did order a new one in case, but i doubt its related, and my hay rack is big enough for them to not touch at all or be that close, i never see food related dominance

Melichat

Cavy Slave
Also, everyone is very happy, popcorning very often, 5-7 times a day on average that i SEE, probably more that i don't, running laps, eating well, pancake sleeping with the legs out and eyes closed, i NEVER heard any teeth chattering from any of them so this is kind of confusing honestly

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The first thing I'd do is turn her and a couple of others over and compare their private parts to make sure she's really female. We've had plenty of pigs mis-sexed by vets.

If she really is female, don't worry about it unless the others start objecting.

In females, that kind of behavior can be caused by ovarian cysts, but I've never heard of cysts in a pig that young. They don't usually develop until the pig is around three or older.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
The first thing I'd do is turn her and a couple of others over and compare their private parts to make sure she's really female. We've had plenty of pigs mis-sexed by vets.

If she really is female, don't worry about it unless the others start objecting.

In females, that kind of behavior can be caused by ovarian cysts, but I've never heard of cysts in a pig that young. They don't usually develop until the pig is around three or older.
Agreed.

Melichat

Cavy Slave
I did check 5 times myself, and just did again and when she is in heat it's very visible since she got a white behind, all 5 of them are FOR SURE females, and my vet own a guinea pig rescue also, so it wasn't just a cat/dog vet, i wouldn't have trusted the opinion of a ''normal'' vet for those things since they rarely know guinea pigs well it seems. And the piggie, she seems to be very... cheeky, always sooo hyper and a little crazy, i think it might just be what she is like but i will make sure to book an appointement to check for cysts even if she is young still

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.