Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Adding New Piggies

Mgmsguineapigs

Cavy Slave
Hi I am a first time "Guinea Pig Cages Website" user, but a long time guinea pig and c&c person. I have two girls, Aggie and Emma. I currently have two 2x4s stacked on top, with swing out doors for easy cleaning. Is there something about guinea pigs that just makes you want more? Their wheeking? The fact that they eat salad? When they popcorn and zoomy? ALL OF ITlol! I would like to adopt another piggy (or two), and I am aware of all of the work (extra lettuce, more frequent cage changes, etc) But can anyone tell me, who has more than two piggies, is it a lot of work? I love my girls, will they be angry if I adopt another piggy family member? I know that my rescue has the thing where you bring your piggies to meet other piggies and find a match that get along. My current cage grid size is 8X4 (two 4x2 stacked) I currently have not made the ramp, so they are stuck on one level. Would it be appropriate to have two pigs up and two pigs down, if they don't immediately bond with the other pig pair.

I'm not really sure what I am asking, but can someone with three-four piggies comment and tell me about having more?

I currently have six in the house...four of our own and two fosters. Our four are in one room, two fosters (separate cages, side by side) are in another room.

I really don't find it much more work. When washing veggies, I just prep a bit more. When cleaning cages, I have a bit more fleece to shake and wash. When we hang out by the cages, they all have interaction with us. They probably have less one-on-one lap time (still probably enough for what each wants at a time), and they have friends to explore with and hang out with at other times.

I think the potential biggest issue would be illness... if one, say, had a respiratory infection and spread to others. It could be very time consuming to care for multiple sick piggies simultaneously. I have not had this happen, but it could certainly be a concern. I weigh and check each over very diligently, so at the first sign of illness I would hopefully catch things.

To your other question...Yes, they could happily live in pairs, two up and two down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.