Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior A tale of three piggies

chickpea616

Cavy Slave
My heart is really heavy right now, I'm not sure what to do.

We have 3 guinea pigs that have been together for at least 2 years now. They are Sparkle, Sausage, and Seven.

I've posted before about Sausage chasing Seven around the cage relentlessly, trying to mount her all the time. I took her to the vet and he suspects ovarian cysts. We are trying to treat them with hormone injections for now. She's due to see him again on Thursday for follow up and further evaluation.

In the meantime, Sparkle hurt herself yesterday - we don't really know what happened, but my husband heard a loud crash from the cage area and went over to find her whimpering and not moving very much. Suspecting something was broken, we took her in for x-rays today. Thankfully, they didn't see anything broken - he said she has a little more gas than he usually sees, but nothing major. I'm supposed to give her anti-inflammatory/pain meds, and simethicone (which I still need to get from the store). She is in a separate area right now due to vet recommendation because he said she really needs to take it easy and recover.

In the meantime, Sausage continues to chase Seven around SO much that I had to separate those 2 also! I know it's important that they are together ! But the situation has become unbearable, IMO. Seven just squeals and squeals, it's heartbreaking. So I have Seven in the main cage, Sausage in the Midwest cage pushed up right next to the main cage, and Sparkle recovering in the large playtime area set up on the floor. Seven seems content to have the main cage all by herself, but Sausage is wheeking and pacing the Midwest cage, getting all worked up (UPDATE WHILE WRITING THIS: she finally settled down and is napping now). Sparkle is seriously chilling right now in recovery.

My heart breaks for all the pigs right now, I feel really awful that they can't be together. I suppose if a question comes from all of this, is that: has anyone had to permanently separate pigs because of over-the-top dominant behavior? I know some people are going to suggest spaying - but that is not on the table right now for various personal and financial reasons. Just wanted some thoughts or ideas please? Thanks guys...

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
If I had this situation, I would move Seven to a safe, solitary cage permanently. From what you describe, Seven is squealing for help. She lives in fear of a cage mate who has raging hormones and terrorizes her endlessly. In my opinion, her quality of life just improved tremendously when you moved her to a separate cage. Now she can eat, drink, and do what she wants without fear that Sausage will be after her.

Sparkle needs to recover, so her cage situation is temporary for now. Where she goes next will depends on whether she can get along with Sausage or Seven. But if the hormone situation doesn’t improve with Sausage, I would keep her separate from the other pigs. He behavior is erratic and aggressive. She can’t help it, but the other pigs need to be kept safe from her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.