Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A few hammie questions

Taboo

Cavy Slave
4. I wouldn't feed the brand that people have been suggesting you feed so far on here. It has seeds in it, which are potentially deadly to hamsters. In fact, the mixes that are most common can cause type 2 diabetes in dwarf hamsters. In a nutshell, the reason is because of the amount of sugar added to the mixes such as Hazel/Harry, Kaytee (they're all the same, pretty much, a mix is a mix), this badly affects tiny dwarves, not to mention the fact that they will likely pick out the good stuff (sunflower seeds, peanuts) that can make them obese easily. The mixes are just as bad for syrians, although they typically don't get diabetes, they still might end up nutrient deficient, or overweight. Or, if they remain perfectly fine, they simply might not live as long as they can. I had a syrian hamster who lived for three years. I started him on a mix until I learned about Oxbow's Healthy Handfuls Hamster food. Its in a round o-shape, is 100% all natural, and corn-free. Its seed free, and all shapes are as uniform as possible, so the hamster cannot pick and choose.

Thats not at all true. A very large part of a hamster's diet is seeds,nuts, and grains, it is their staple diet. Yes, they're fattening but if done right (like not giving them tons of sunflower seeds and peanuts) they shouldn't be obese. I've had 12 hamsters in all in my life and I've never had an obese one.

This link is to a homemade mix for hamsters.. notice that the ingredients are seeds, nuts,and grains. (broken link removed)

Also ONLY RCs (russian campbells) and hybrids (which is a cross between a RC and winter white) are prone to diabetes.

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
Hamsters are aloud to have seeds. But other than that thanks for the advice!

Should I?

Cavy Slave
that cage is fine and no, you do not need to take out the level and ramp, the wheel will fit in the cage without having to take it out.

I recommend you give your hamster at least 30 mins out of cage every night.

Lettuce is fine as long as its not iceberg. You should give veggies at least 3 times a week and fruit at least once a week. most fruits and veggies are fine, just not tomato, avocado (or at least not around the seed but i wouldnt risk it at all), onion, garlic, leek, rhubarb (I think..), and i'm sure there's more i'm forggeting so make sure to ask before you feed it. baby food is good to feed them too, just make sure there's no garlic/onion/leeks in it. Other foods you can give them is dog food, wole wheat bread, pasta (dry pasta is good for their teeth too), plain milk bones for dogs.

if you're planning on getting a syrian, CT cages wouldn't be good. the tubes would possibly be too small to fit through and you'd need many of them (like 5 or 6) for him/her to have enough space.

Hamsters do not need any fruits or veggies, and please do not ever feed fruits to a dwarf hamster as they are prone to diabetes and there is too much sugar in fruit. Most people also pick the corn out of their dwarf hamster mix because it is too sugary. You also cannot give them carrots or any other of the sweeter veggies. Just want to clarify that dog food should not be a sole source of food but you can definately add it to their mix. Nonflavored milk bones are the best thing to always keep in their cage for keeping their teeth worn down. A good recipe for daily feeding mix is equal amounts of: bird seed, hamster mix, oats, plain cheerios. The best nesting material is white unscented toilet paper.

Should I?

Cavy Slave
2. I wouldn't ever "bathe" any hamster. Dwarf hamsters should be offered the dust/sand bath stuff made for them. I wouldn't offer the dust/sand to a regular syrian hamster, chances are it won't use it, seeing as my dwarf hamster never showed any interest in his dust bath.

Make sure you use the "sand" and not the "dust". The dust is too fine and can cause respiratory problems. Also, if you put some in a syrian hamsters cage he will often potty train himself and only pee in it, although he still may poo about the cage.

P.S. not all dwarfs will use the sand as a bath. And also if you do decide to use sand as a toilet for your syrian, its a lot more econimical to buy a bag of children's playsand (Although this type of sand would not work for "bathing" purposes for dwarfs).

Baby's mom

Cavy Slave
Okay I have both Guinea Pigs, and hamsters. And they are completely different animals with completely different needs.

1) Floor Time - they really don't need floor time. There's a hamster ball that you can buy, and put them in. Some hamsters like it, some don't. My hamster Fat Max hates it!

2) Baths? They bath themselves. The nice thing about Hamsters are that they are very clean animals. In my experience.

3) Can they play with Guinea Pigs? I would not chance it. Hamsters are solitary animals, and they like being alone. However, I had a hamster, and a cat love each other. So If you do decide to introduce them, be on guard, and ready to grab one quickly just in case they don't get along.

4) Food? Whatever Wal-Mart is selling. Hamsters aren't picky. And they love seeds, and nuts.

5) Hay? No, they don't need hay.

6) You can't keep Hamsters together, because they WILL fight. They are happier when they are alone.

Should I?

Cavy Slave
6) You can't keep Hamsters together, because they WILL fight. They are happier when they are alone.

Syrian hamsters are solitary. Dwarf hamsters can definately be housed together in same sex groups, especially if they are kept from the same litter.

Taboo

Cavy Slave
Hamsters do not need any fruits or veggies, and please do not ever feed fruits to a dwarf hamster as they are prone to diabetes and there is too much sugar in fruit. Most people also pick the corn out of their dwarf hamster mix because it is too sugary. You also cannot give them carrots or any other of the sweeter veggies. Just want to clarify that dog food should not be a sole source of food but you can definately add it to their mix. Nonflavored milk bones are the best thing to always keep in their cage for keeping their teeth worn down. A good recipe for daily feeding mix is equal amounts of: bird seed, hamster mix, oats, plain cheerios. The best nesting material is white unscented toilet paper.

No, Russian Campbells and hybrids are prone to diabetes. Not Robos, Chinese, Winter WHites, or syrians. (hybrid is a cross between a Winter White and Russian Campbell. if you didnt get your RC/WW from a responible breeder you could very well have a hybrid so best not to feed sugary foods). If I got a quarter for every time I had to explain this, I would be rich.

Floor Time - they really don't need floor time. There's a hamster ball that you can buy, and put them in.

Thats really cruel you know. They DO need playtime/floor time/whatever you guys call it just as much as a pig does. They need at least an hr out of their cage every night.

Food? Whatever Wal-Mart is selling. Hamsters aren't picky. And they love seeds, and nuts.

Ok, so guinea pigs shouldnt have crappy food (I believe you guys call the guinea pig food at wal mart crapfood or something?) but hamsters can? Talk about being a hypocrite. And yeah, some hamsters are picky. I for one have had many picky hamsters.

I'm sorry, but people who have no idea what they're talking about, but state it like its fact annoys the heck out of me.

Should I?

Cavy Slave
No, Russian Campbells and hybrids are prone to diabetes. Not Robos, Chinese, Winter WHites, or syrians. (hybrid is a cross between a Winter White and Russian Campbell. if you didnt get your RC/WW from a responible breeder you could very well have a hybrid so best not to feed sugary foods). If I got a quarter for every time I had to explain this, I would be rich.

I'm sorry, but people who have no idea what they're talking about, but state it like its fact annoys the heck out of me.

Excuse me but I owned hamsters for 4 years and did constant research during that time, I'm not the know-all-end-all authority on hamsters but I don't feel that I "have no idea what I'm talking about". You yourself stated as fact that people should feed their hamsters veggies 3 times a week and fruit once a week. Hamsters do not need fresh veggies or fruit to be healthy and happy. You can give them veggies as treats if you want to but its not necessary at all.
And during all that time I have never read or heard anywhere that its only RCs that are prone to diabetes, it was ALL dwarfs. Now if that info has changed or something fine, I encourage anyone who is thinking about getting a dwarf hamster of any breed to go and thoroughly reasearch that and find out, but you don't need to come on here and insult people.

Taboo

Cavy Slave
I've owned hamsters for over 4 yrs, did alot of research and have been a member of the best hamster forum for over 2 yrs and yes, i assure you that what I said was 100% true.

Some people say "dwarfs are prone to diabetes" just like they say that the 5 different species of hamsters kept as pets are 'breeds' instead of 'species'. or how Chinese hamsters arent technically dwarfs but people still say they are.

Should I?

Cavy Slave
I've owned hamsters for over 4 yrs, did alot of research and have been a member of the best hamster forum for over 2 yrs and yes, i assure you that what I said was 100% true.

Some people say "dwarfs are prone to diabetes" just like they say that the 5 different species of hamsters kept as pets are 'breeds' instead of 'species'. or how Chinese hamsters arent technically dwarfs but people still say they are.

Taboo, I too, am a member of that hamster forum, and have been for 5 years! I'm not trying to get into a battle over who knows more! I really don't give darn if you know "more" than me or not. But don't come on here and try to say that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Thats just rude. Excuse the heck out of me for accidentally saying breed instead of species. Yes I do know that they are species and about chinese hamsters. Thats not the point. Stop being so condescending.

Taboo

Cavy Slave
I didn't even know you called them breeds. I was just using that as an example since that's another thing people say that drives me crazy.

And by the way, when I said "I'm sorry, but people who have no idea what they're talking about, but state it like its fact annoys the heck out of me." I was referring to whoever said that hamsters didn't need "floor time" and that they could be given walmart hamster food because hamsters will eat anything.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.