Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Should I get my 5 year old pig a cage mate?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

My guinea pig is 5 years old and has lived alone all that time. The other day I saw a baby pig who was really cute I even held her for a few. I really want her but I'm weighing my options. On one hand my guinea pig would have a friend. But on the other because of the age difference I would hate to lose my Star and then have to get the little one a friend.

I live in an appartment so I would need permission and I would hate for the little one to lose Star, then my landlord turn me down about getting her a friend. There are just so many good and bad qualities of the situation. I know that gps should have play mates.

My star has always lived alone and she is in perfect health. But I still think she would be happy with a friend unless of course they don't get along. I've tried getting her a friend befor but befor we had the chance to introduce them we had to put her down. Her name was Bella and those of you on here who know me, know the story.

But I know just because the gp was cute and I loved her personality I know that's not a good reason to get her. What do you all think do you think star would get along with another pig even though she has always lived alone. I would also need permission from my landlord but befor I do that I need more information. Our appartment is small and with the new 2x4 c&c cage so a seperate cage is not an option. So like I said I just need more information befor I do anything. Especially so something this big and life changing for both me and Star.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
All the guinea pigs that I have adopted after years of being the only pig have done better when paired up than the ones raised around other guinea pigs. The first time they see another guinea pig you can see the recognition in them.

If you want a second guinea pig then I think it would be a good idea for your older female. Try a rescue where you could return a pig if the two did not get along and try another pig out.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think trying her with another girl would be a good idea, we had a 5 year old come into the rescue...he'd always lived alone since 3 weeks old but he bonded to a found male who's age we didn't know.

I would try to introduce her to another girl *or de-sexed male* but I wouldn't intro her with a baby, I'd look for a pig who would be closer to her age.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.