Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethals How do I know if my pig is a lethal?

amberlee42890

Cavy Slave
How do I know if my pig is blind?

I have an albino pig, he is 4 months old. I think he might be blind. He has a brother (yes, from the same litter) and whenever I go near the play pen his brother runs, or when I try to pick him up he runs. But when I try to pick up Domynik (The albino) or walk by the cage, he kind of just sits there. He seems to search around with his snout more than anything. Is it possible he's blind? If so, how do I raise a blind piggy? Obviously, I'm going to keep him, I love him. I just want to make sure I give him the best care possible.

Re: How do I know if my pig is blind?

The only way to know is by taking your guinea pig to the vet. Is he having any problems with teeth or other things?
Posting a photo may help.

What color is the brother? How about the parents? Are his eyes normal sized? Does he have all this teeth?

I ask, because sometimes white pigs turn out to be "lethal whites". Do a search at Guinea Lynx to learn more about them.

If he's white with red/pink eyes, he's called a PEW, or pink-eyed white. If he is white with dark eyes, he's called a DEW, or dark-eyed white. There are no albino guinea pigs.

Brother is brown. IDK about the parents. Got them in a pet store. His eyes seem to be a normal size and he seems to have all his teeth.

How do I know if my pig is a lethal?Here he is with his brother

If he does turn out to be blind, it won't difficult to raise him. One of my piggies recently went blind from cataracts and he's honestly not much different now then he was when he had his sight. Mostly, be sure to keep everything in the same place, so he'll know where the food and water are. I would take him to the vet, since a vet checkup never hurts.

Best of luck with the little guy!

Ok, so I just checked and he is missing his front top left tooth (right when looking at him). He is only 4 months. Are they born with all their teeth. Should he have all his teeth by now? If he is a lethal should I separate him from his brother? Is he going to suffer? How long can he live? So many questions. Please answer them, really scared. =(

Ok, so I have this 4 month old piggie. White. Red eyes. I don't think he can see anything but IDK. Someone told me he might be a lethal. I need to know everything about lethals. I just checked and he is missing his front top left tooth (right when looking at him). He is only 4 months. Are they born with all their teeth. Should he have all his teeth by now? If he is a lethal should I separate him from his brother? Is he going to suffer? How long can he live? So many questions. Please answer them, really scared. =( And please don't tell me to go to Guniea Lynx or give me the link because I have and just don't understand it. Please help!! ='(How do I know if my pig is a lethal?

Pigs are born with all of their teeth, he may be a lethal. Lethals often have a shorter life span than normal piggies, I would leave them together if everything is fine. Someone more experienced with this may be able to help you. Is he eating? Are you weighing him to make sure he isn't losing weight? Some lethals can live a happy life, even though it is short, I have no way of knowing if he is in pain or not, you can always bring him to a vet if you are concerned. Here is a bit more info (I know you dont want a link, sorry) https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/4190-Lethal-guinea-pigs

I don't mind links. I just don't want one to Guinea Lynx. Thank You so much!

Lethal's are born blind and deaf..He doesn't look like a lethal at all to me.
He has eyes, and he has colouing in his hair which is what makes me think he is just a normal piggy.
Lethals having no colouring at all.

You'll need to get his teeth checked out as if he is missing his front top left one then his front bottom left one will overgrow as it wont have the other tooth to grind it down.
We had a boy in the rescue break his front right top tooth but it grew back in less then two weeks, are you sure he hasn't just broken his tooth off?

I merged the two threads together. Please keep all medical info about this pig on this thread.

Not all lethals are born with no eyes. However, I believe they are all white, and your boy is a himi.

I don't mind links. I just don't want one to Guinea Lynx. Thank You so much!

May I ask why? Guinea Lynx is probably the most comprehensive site for guinea pig medical records.

May I ask why? Guinea Lynx is probably the most comprehensive site for guinea pig medical records.

Because I already read it and didn't understand it. And either way, my fiance looked and he actually does have his teeth. Bringing him to a vet this week but now we're pretty sure he's just blind and hard of hearing

I merged the two threads together. Please keep all medical info about this pig on this thread.

Not all lethals are born with no eyes. However, I believe they are all white, and your boy is a himi.

Himi??

He's a Himalayan. They aren't pure white but have dark ears, feet and snouts. He could be a mix but he's not a PEW (pink eyed white) that have red or pink eyes, white fur and pink ears. He's not a lethal. Lethals are PEWs but not all PEWs are lethals. It looks like his head is tilted. (head tilt) If it is all the time, I'd have him checked by a vet because he could have an ear infection that needs to be treated. Sometimes head tilts are neurological but you'd want to be sure it's not an ear infection that can be easily treated.

He's Peruvian. His brother is too. Can they be Peruvian and Himalayan?

They look more like Abyssinians to me, Himi is a colouring..abby is a breed. :)

Peruvian's are long haired and their hair is always growing

Hmmmm...ok. Lol. The pet store tole me they were Peruvians and when I looked them up it didn't seem right to me. Lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.