Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage would it be cruel

AussiePiggies

Cavy Slave
I get where you are coming from @newbie1, I was there myself not so long ago. In Australia GP's are predominately an outdoor pet and we get them and their hutches because we have no room for a larger or indoor pet... I know I did! My home is way too small, and my 3 kids waaaay to loud and fast... the only spot would be in the loungeroom right near the tv and where everyone walks/runs past in and out the door to our yard/front door, that would be too loud for them... well, they are thriving there with all the noise! Not in quite as big a space as I know they should be but they are happy and healthier than they were.

I stumbled across this forum looking for answers about something else and felt that perhaps all these peeps were a bit nutty (no offence guys!!! :silly::D) but the more I read, the more I realised they were on to something!
On the predator note.. I don't know where you live, but even here in my beachside area the council baits for foxes and those little buggers are craftier than snakes and kids! Just because we don't see them, or don't have the same caliber of predator as the US members doesn't mean they aren't there :p I was worried about funnel webs and redbacks too here once the idea of just what could harm the boys out there was planted!

edcaguy

Cavy Slave
I wonder about people who have pets they can't properly take care of.

newbie1

Cavy Slave
me too. I wonder about that ALL DAY

newbie1

Cavy Slave
I'm going to look into getting something for indoors for winter, my house is so tiny I will have to figure something out though.
I'm wondering if I could convert something myself

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are indoor animals...
Is there any way you could keep them in a shed in your garden? I know it's not ideal, but..

pinky

Cavy Slave
Insects pose as big a danger to them as snakes or predators. Loud kids are much better than putting them at risk from being outdoors. My guinea pigs don't even move when I vacuum around them. If they really are family pets, it's all the more reason to keep them inside with the family, not away from them.

newbie1

Cavy Slave
What insects?

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What insects?

(Spiders aren't insects, but you get the point).
Red back spiders.
Funnel web spider.
Mosquitoes.
Trapdoor spider.
Paralysis tick (This one is well known for causing guinea pig deaths, there is nothing a vet can do if a pig is bitten).

These are all common deadly Australian insects, all which can give a fatal bite and end a pigs life.

Plus there are cats, dogs, foxes, chicken hawks, birds of prey and snakes. An Australian backyard is no place for a pig.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
What insects?

Funnel web spiders, red back spiders, white-tailed spiders, mouse spiders, wasps, bees, beetles, centipedes, millipedes, scorpions, stinging ants, paralysis ticks, caterpillars, mosquitoes carrying deadly viruses & flies causing flystrike, among many others.

Australian Insects
(broken link removed)

newbie1

Cavy Slave
I live in the city home slice

AussiePiggies

Cavy Slave
I live in the city too, we have just about everything listed above lurking around here! The only ones I haven't seen at our place would be chicken hawks, scorpions and mouse spiders.... dear god I hope I don't see a mouse spider!!!

AussiePiggies

Cavy Slave
I'm sure you could convert something! There's some very ingenious "cages" being made by ppl! I love the look of ones that look like furniture :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
converting something would be a fabulous idea!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
You can look at alternative cages in the gallery. (broken link removed)
In my country it's common to make cages out of cheap bookcases, waterproofed with something like a plastic tablecloth which is fun to switch with the seasons. Just make sure the inner measurements of your cage matches the recommendations on the front page, preferably larger for boys. The main issue would be making it safe from your children if they are too young to be trusted around the pigs.

Pictures of bookcase cages:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I live in the city home slice

Just because you live in the city doesn't mean there aren't spiders, bees, wasps, mosquitoes, flies, and other insects they named.
I live in the city as well (though not in Aussie) and there are still lots of outside bugs that could harm piggies. Granted there are far more insects and such to be worried about if you didn't live in the city, but regardless those risks are still there.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I love those bookcase cages! Very creative. :)

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
Funnel web spiders, red back spiders, white-tailed spiders, mouse spiders, wasps, bees, beetles, centipedes, millipedes, scorpions, stinging ants, paralysis ticks, caterpillars, mosquitoes carrying deadly viruses & flies causing flystrike, among many others.

Australian Insects
(broken link removed)

And don't forget about lions, tigers, and bears, OH MY!:silly:

Seriously, I love those cages @HannibalLecter . Those really are some scary sounding bugs, I would definitely want to keep everybody safely inside.

newbie1

Cavy Slave
The chance of my guinea pigs being bitten by any of those is close to zero. The only insects that you listed that live in my state are red backs and Mosquitos. A red back would not attack a guinea pig.
If these insects posed a danger I would keep my children inside.
you know what I think is cruel? Not allowing an animal to feel the sunlight or the wind and rain. That is cruel.

newbie1

Cavy Slave
It shocks me how misinformed people are about native Australian animals

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.