Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New

LiL BeezY

Cavy Slave
Just picked up the new pig today, named him LiL BeezY because I always have weird names for everything. He is really curious, and not very scared. Seems strange since most all of them at the three pet stores I went too were scared and running everywhere. I got a pig because dogs and cats cost too much, and reptiles arent worth the money. My question is, what kind do I have?

Looks like an american short hair but it could end up getting longer in time.

Is he housed in an aquarium?

Looks like a regular American shorthair. Fairly common, they are like the tabby of guinea pigs :)

It looks like you have him in an aquarium type cage. This isn't recommended as ventilation isn't great. Have you seen the information about C&C cages here? Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

Yeah, he is in one at the moment, a very big one. But I am switching to a actual cage in a day or two. I know he he would like that more

Yeah, he is in one at the moment, a very big one. But I am switching to a actual cage in a day or two. I know he he would like that more
By actual cage do you mean a pet store bought one or a C&C?
(Hopefully C&C, they're soo amazing) :)

I recommend making a C&C Cage-- Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

Any store bought cage will likely be too small! You will eventually want to get him a companion, since guinea pigs are much happier and healthier with a buddy of their own species.

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to learn.

When I take him out he seems to be sneezing once to twice every five to ten minutes. I know this isn't good, might take him back tomorrow, pets mart said within two weeks they will treat him for free.. so they said

Yes, that sounds not very good at all. Quite possibly an upper respiratory infection or URI. This can cause guinea pigs to go downhill very very quickly and they can die from this as well. You def. need to get him a C&C cage in order for him to have the right amount of room. I would talk to the pet store about it and see if they will pay for him to be treated since he obviously had the URI from the time at the pet store. I am not sure how that will go though. Give us some feedback as you find out.

The weird thing is I've only heard one sneeze inside his *cage* seems to be whenever he is out.

I wouldn't take him to a Petsmart vet, they don't know the difference between a horse and a guinea pig. Pet smart usually tells people their pigs just have a "cold" (Guinea pigs can't get colds), when really they have a deadly bacteria in their respiratory. And C&C cages are amazing! They're cheap and large and you get to decide what shape the cage is. And LiL BeezY is going to need a friend as well, as guinea pigs are herd animals they need to socialize with others of their kind.

The sneezing is gone today, I think the thing is broke hahah, he isn't scared at all, it is like a kitten..anyone else bought a pig so chill? He is eating great and moving around okay. Not drinking much water though

Be very, very cautious, even if the sneezing has stopped. Pet store pigs are notorious for having URIs, and sadly, I speak from experience. My Mufasa was the most chill little guy you could imagine. He sneezed very rarely, and I noticed hay stuck on his nose like it had been running, but the symptoms were so subtle that I shrugged them off. I was new to guinea pigs and had no idea how quickly they can go downhill. On the night of Day 14 he was very obviously sick and died on the morning of Day 15. If I could do it over again, I would have taken him to my own vet vs. returning him to the pet store as soon as I suspected any problem. URIs are nothing to play with, and although I know some pet stores really do take them to the vet and get them treated during the guarantee period, I would want to be 100 percent SURE.

I'm just worried he is so calm

Yes, I've often wondered if part of Mufasa's calmness was that he was sick but hiding it. He was calmer than the other pigs, and we chose him because he sniffed my husband's finger while the others all ran. I did adopt an adult boar who was also extremely calm and sweet. Ironically, he turned out to have a genetic defect and I had to have him put to sleep, but I don't think that influenced his personality at all. He was just a real sweetheart. I still miss him. Now I have rambunctious girls.

Some piggies are naturally pretty calm. My dominant sow is more curious and nosy than anything else. But the sneezing is a problem, even if he seems to have stopped. I would call a vet (probably not the pet store vet) and see if you can get him checked out. Treatment for a uri is usually pretty affordable, and it could save his life.

I went to Petco to get mine treated and it worked so it's worth a shot. If they tell you it's "just a cold" ignore them and just insist they take it. I think they say that so they don't have to pay too many vet bills. It turned out mine had URI. I don't know about Petsmart, but I know Petco has a vet specifically for exotic pets.

As for the cage, an aquarium seems pretty miserable. There's no air movement.The aquariums in the petsmart that you bought your guinea pig in has vents built into the back of the display, that's why they could get away with it for a while. It's probably not a model you should emulate at home. If you decide to go for a different cage, a C&C only costs about $30-$45 to build yourself if you can't afford to buy one from the store on this site.

I think I have figured out some of the reason he is calm, I think he might be deaf. He responds to no noise at all. Like nothing. No matter how loud.

I think I have figured out some of the reason he is calm, I think he might be deaf. He responds to no noise at all. Like nothing. No matter how loud.

Awww :(. That means you will never get to hear excited Squeekies when you crinkle a bag of his food. How did you test if he was deaf?

Awww :(. That means you will never get to hear excited Squeekies when you crinkle a bag of his food. How did you test if he was deaf?

I was cleaning the carpet and I watched him and he didn't even react to the noise and whenever I try to talk to him he doesn't show any signs that he can hear anything. I tried sitting by the cage and I clapped once, got nothing.

It doesn't necessarily mean he's deaf. Whenever I vacuum in my room my pigs don't react at all. They get used to noises over time :)
Also, you need to take your piggy to the vet. URIs are very serious.
I'll also recommend a c&c cage and your piggy a companion. Sorry if its quite alot to take in- I know how it feels being a new piggy owner! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.