Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing How to clean her bum

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
One of my girls Ella has a dirty wet bum, from sitting in pee at the rescue. I wanted to know how I could go about cleaning it. Are there any save wipes I could use to just wipe it clean, or will she need a butt bath? If so how do I give a butt bath as I have never bathed my piggies so far. Im really hoping there is a wipe or something, because its cold here and I dont want her to risk getting cold.

Kfowler5

Cavy Slave
One of our girls had this same problem when she's out for floor time and always gets her bottom all gross. A butt bath would probably be the easiest way to go about it. I know there's cat/dog bath wipes but I don't think they are safe for the piggies, there's some piggie safe shampoo that's fairly easy to find but we just use unscented baby shampoo as its already on hand for us. I have a small rubbermaid container (one a bit bigger than a shoe box) that's our designated piggie bath tub. And it's not a huge worry on them getting to cold if it's just a butt bath it will dry much faster than her whole body. Just try to soak as much of the water off as you can and maybe keep her wrapped in a towel for a few minutes to make sure she's only a tad damp. We use a small space heater in the room w the cage on bath days just because im a bit paranoid about drafts and feel it keeps the air a bit dryer. Hope it all goes well with your innaugural bath! Sometimes The girls can be a bit squirmy and fussy than the boys, in our house anyway! :D

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
One of our girls had this same problem when she's out for floor time and always gets her bottom all gross. A butt bath would probably be the easiest way to go about it. I know there's cat/dog bath wipes but I don't think they are safe for the piggies, there's some piggie safe shampoo that's fairly easy to find but we just use unscented baby shampoo as its already on hand for us. I have a small rubbermaid container (one a bit bigger than a shoe box) that's our designated piggie bath tub. And it's not a huge worry on them getting to cold if it's just a butt bath it will dry much faster than her whole body. Just try to soak as much of the water off as you can and maybe keep her wrapped in a towel for a few minutes to make sure she's only a tad damp. We use a small space heater in the room w the cage on bath days just because im a bit paranoid about drafts and feel it keeps the air a bit dryer. Hope it all goes well with your innaugural bath! Sometimes The girls can be a bit squirmy and fussy than the boys, in our house anyway! :D

Thank you, Ill have to try that. If worse comes to worse ill just wipe her bum with a wet cloth.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you bathe her in warm water in a warm room and then immediately dry her off, she'll be fine.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I blow dry my pigs from a far whent hey have a bath, otherwise they get chills and shivers :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.