Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding My piggies hate me!!!

aemsva

Cavy Slave
My piggies live's in her C&C in the basement with me so I am the only person she see's. She used to be very skittish when she was in the petstore cage and it was really hard to bond with her. She has been in her C&C for about two weeks and there has already been a huge change in her! She is still skittish, but she is alot better than befor. Now when I come into the room I put my hand near her and let her sniff me then I gently stoke her head and leave. You could also offer a treat and gently stroke them. Just remember to be gentle and quite. I thought my guinea hated my guts because she would hide until I left the room when she was in her petstore cage, but now she is a changed piggie!

PiggieAddict
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

galya137

Cavy Slave
I realize this, but everyone I know who has guinea pigs are so bonded with them. The pigs come right up to them when they are near their cage and smell them and they will actually walk around when their in the room. And I know a lot of people who have pigs. I don't understand how my pigs are the only skittish ones out of like, 20. All I want is to have my guinea pigs to trust me.

Dont worry! I have two and its a 50:50. My social pig actually still ets skittish at times, so its not you. :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I realize this, but everyone I know who has guinea pigs are so bonded with them. The pigs come right up to them when they are near their cage and smell them and they will actually walk around when their in the room. And I know a lot of people who have pigs. I don't understand how my pigs are the only skittish ones out of like, 20. All I want is to have my guinea pigs to trust me.

You have it backwards. Those pigs you are talking about are the exception. Most pigs are like yours, or somewhere in between.

You can try the things suggested. Perhaps your pigs will become more tame, perhaps not. I'm sure you will love them anyway!

PiggieAddict

Casperthepig

Cavy Slave
My pig is the same way, he loves being petted, but when it comes to picking him up? No way! The strange thing is, he will usually jump into my lap when I take him out to clean his cage, but when I have to pick him up to put him back, I feel like I'm chasing him around his pen for about 20 minutes, and he's chattering and all. It makes me feel so terrible! Usually he gets over it when he's back in his cage eating lettuce...but still. I really think some pigs are just shy. Keep working with them, as I plan on doing with mine!

PiggieAddict

galya137

Cavy Slave
My pig is the same way, he loves being petted, but when it comes to picking him up? No way! The strange thing is, he will usually jump into my lap when I take him out to clean his cage, but when I have to pick him up to put him back, I feel like I'm chasing him around his pen for about 20 minutes, and he's chattering and all. It makes me feel so terrible! Usually he gets over it when he's back in his cage eating lettuce...but still. I really think some pigs are just shy. Keep working with them, as I plan on doing with mine!

My Chalupa hates being picked up. Being pet as well, but we are working on it. She is very responsive to veggies though! I have gotten better with picking her up though, wih avice of forum members. :)

PiggieAddict

masha99

Cavy Slave
Piggies definitely have their personalities. I have a mom (from pet store) and 3 kids. Mom is super skittish, even though I spent a LOT of time holding her when she was sick, includiing hand feeding which is supposed to make them tame. The daughter is not as skittish, but when I try to pick her up I could swear she's part bird, she moves so fast. The boys are not skittish at all and they will come out and run up to me begging for food. HOWEVER, none of them like to be picked up and they all squeal when cornered and in the process of being grabbed. They are not in pain; they are sending the alarm to their mates to get away from a "predator." And that's with the 3 kids being handled by me from birth! It's just different personalities, just like humans, something to be appreciated.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
You cannot expect Guinea Pigs to give you the same response as a dog or other more common domestic animals would.

Guinea Pigs are prey animals. They will never feel 100% secure being picked up, carried, or things like that. But they will get to a point where they can tolerate it and become more used to you.

I had the exact same worries that they "were never going to forgive me" if I picked them up and stuff. Nope. EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE was true. It was silly, "Common sense dictates that you should be doing something to help them, so why am I scared to hold them?" is exactly what I realized.

I have only missed 1 day since March of this year of handling time, floor time, cuddles, whatever I could do to get them used to me. The truth is, Guinea Pigs are prey animals and will NEVER be "tamed" like a dog or cat would. They can become more "accustomed" to you, which is a better way of describing it.

All you can do is handle them every day for at least 10 minutes. Do what you can, whenever you can. Don't overdo it, just handle them and be kind and gentle.

And then there are those "grumpy" pigs that just are little stinkers and will never get as accustomed to being handled as others. Oh well! We do what we have to. :)

__

I now have 2 wonderful girls, Lil' Babe and Big Sis', who both tolerate being petted and enjoy their out of cage time a ton. Of course, when it is time to go home, they are ready to jump in their cuddle cups-- LITERALLY, JUMP!

__

Good luck to you, and don't EVER get down on yourself to think that they "hate" you. It would be childish to do over something like this. :)

PiggieAddict
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.