Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated How do you do that?!?

Wonder Piggy

Cavy Slave
Today is fleece changing day. It takes me about 2 hours every time I change the fleece. How on earth do people change their fleece so fast? Any tips?

It takes me about 15 minutes to change my fleece in a 2x6 cage. I vacuum up all the poops and as much hay as I can with my vacuum hose then I take it outside and flick off whatever is left. Pop the fleece, towels, pads and anything else cloth and dirty in the washer. I wipe down my coroplast with some vinegar and water and then take out the new fleece pads and just lay them down. All done!

It makes it a lot easier to have pre-sewn pads. I did just layering last week because I had not sewn a second pad yet and it took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to fold it all correctly.

Last edited:
When I used fleece, I could change out my huge cage (24+ square feet over two levels) from start to finish in 45 minutes. But I sewed the fleece to mattress pads, and it was just a matter of removing one pad, wiping down the cage, and flopping the clean one in. The rest of the time was spent washing water bottles, pellet bowls, refilling hay and litter pans, cleaning the ramp to the upper level, etc.

My cage is a 2x3 and the second level is part litter box. I use wee-wee pads under the fleece on the second level and a towel under fleece on the bottom. The towel is not cut to fit, so I have to
fold it a certain way and then I have to cut the wee-wee pads to fit. So I guess that must be why it takes me so long.

I've found that rolling my fleece from one end to the other, then taking it over the trash can to unroll and dump the hay and beans is really fast. I then take it out side and shake it out before washing. I think the larger the cage the easier it is to clean, mines 7x3 grids. It also helps to have extra pads in the high traffic areas.

I have one of the custom made piggie pads so it's just a matter of taking the one out, laying the clean one in and tucking it over the edges and then shaking the dirty one out and tossing it in the wash. The changing part just takes 10 min at most but since it's all one piece, there's no adjusting or folding or arranging either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.