Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New: Snooki & Peanut

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Yes I am seeing your post for the first time and I would like to point out a few things. NO pellets do NOT need to be frozen. As in your first pic you have them in clear plastic bags!!! You need to get a DARK container (not see thought) as pellets lose their vit C when exposed to light within a few hours. If you have a dark, cool place to store a few air tight containers that would be just as good as a freezer and you can store a 6 month supply (which is the max...)

If you can find a local hay farmer you can buy a 45-65lb bale for $3-10 that will save you a TON.

Ok next static. IF you are drying it on a lower setting and still having static (as us cold/dry weather people have to deal with) try throwing a cup of white distilled vinegar into the wash. It helps with smell, wicking AND static!

The better quality food you feed them now the less you will have to spend on vet costs in the future.

As far as age. It is very difficult to tell. You should be weighing them weekly with a small kitchen scale (something that can weigh as small as 1 gram is great). Weight is an ok indication of age but will definately help you with any health issues as they start losing weight before showing other symptoms.

Piggies are going to poop where they poop there is nothing you can do about that. not letting them have something because they poop or pee somewhere else is not very good. I was the same way when I had my piggies litter trained. I gave up caring and now they go where they eat hay 45% the time and where they sleep 43% of the time and 10% of the time everywhere else. I change the fleece pad and towles in their kitchen and their bedroom once a day and then change the fleece everywhere else twice a month...

Heres a great toy resource:

Guinea Pig Toys and Play

O also I find that 2 guinea pig should be eatting about 1/2-1lb of hay per day

P.S. WOW Kath you can really talk! Haha you sound just like me.... lol

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
O btw many of us here live in small apts/homes as well. I live in a tiny 2 bedroom apt that is less than 700 square feet with 2 kids under 5, a cat and several guinea pigs. We don't have the option of a garage (there are none) but we do have a small storage locker. Between all 60 boxes+ of my kids toys, clothes, books and stuff and all the usual household items. I STILL have room for 50lbs of pellets, a standing freezer AND 2 45lb bales of hay! If I can make room anyone can. I'm a bit of a toy/clothes hourder. I take pride in that my kids have enough toys for 10 kids and that we got 80% of them free/very cheap from thrift store or garage sales. It took 3 (a 3 horse trailer) loads to move all of our stuff in Oct. So yeah we don't have much room either... Haha Thank goodness I am good at putting up shelving and organizing.

SnookiANDPeanut

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the posts.

Everyone one here will raise their Gp's differently. The way we're doing it works for us.
Perhaps we will get a scale ...
Perhaps we will get a dark box ...
But we don't give the GP's pellets for vitamin C - we give them veggies for that. They eat their pellets too --- and Orchard Grass (as my bf and I are severely allergic to hay).

I change their bedding and litter box weekly. Or when it starts to smell - this works for us.

Take care - Jillian

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Hello!

Just now reading though your thread and your girls are so cute. I have yet to look at your youtube channel, but I plan on it ;)
& here is mine YouTube - trexgorawrrrrr's Channel

I just wanted to say something that onetwo said about the scale. Scales are cheap, and I understand the money issue... trust me, I'm a 22 year old full time college student, and the bf is 21 with a full time job. We have about $800 a month to pay for rent and bills, which doesn't even inclue food for us let alone the animals we own. So I feel your pain, but you should really consider buying a cheap kitchen scale. Guinea pigs are very good at hiding their illness' and don't normally show signs of being sick until it's too late. It's always good to weigh your pigs weekly, and if you see some sort of change then you should switch to daily. If they begin to lose weight it's a sign that something could be wrong. I bought our scale from amazon - (broken link removed) I love the little bowl on top because the pigs fit in it perfectly. My only complaint is that it isn't digital. I wish I would have gotten a digital scale, but this one works fine.

I also wanted to say that if you can find hay locally you will save tons. I wasn't able to find hay locally, but I did order from (broken link removed) It was so worth it to order in bulk because I was paying $10 a week for the pigs hay ONLY. This isn't even veggies or pellets! I figured it out and I was literally saving hundreds a year. You may want to consider looking on craigslist to see if you can find a local person or consider buying bulk online. Just a suggestion though :)

Now I'm off to watch your videos lol

SnookiANDPeanut

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I also wanted to say that if you can find hay locally you will save tons. I wasn't able to find hay locally, but I did order from (broken link removed) It was so worth it to order in bulk because I was paying $10 a week for the pigs hay ONLY. This isn't even veggies or pellets! I figured it out and I was literally saving hundreds a year. You may want to consider looking on craigslist to see if you can find a local person or consider buying bulk online. Just a suggestion though :)

Now I'm off to watch your videos lol

Hey there - thanks for posting - finally someone who gets where I'm coming from.

I will consider the scale - as I'm a new GP owner - and lord knows what to expect.
Moving on - my bf and I are both allergic to hay - we buy orchard grass - come summer we're going to grow our own grass - or go to my rents house where they have lots of grass that isn't getting sprayed with pesticides.

:) Cheers - Jillian

SnookiANDPeanut

Cavy Slave
For sale!

THAT'S IT!

I can't stand it anymore!
Snooki and Peanut are driving us fuc**** insane! When they become hormonal and start humping, rumbling, and spazzing out I seriously want to scream at the top of my lungs.

*Note that I haven't ....

What can I do to stop them from humping each other?!?!

If there is nothing to be done we're putting them up for sale.

sarah_atx

Cavy Slave
Oh, wow, are they very loud?

I can't imagine you can do anything but maybe as they get older they'll calm down...?

SnookiANDPeanut

Cavy Slave
update

we're going to be giving the girls to the local humane society.
There they will be given to a caring home - and we spoke with the staff there and they say that GP's go very quickly. They're popular unlike cats that sometimes have to be put down due to numbers.

It breaks my heart - but I can't spend the next 5+ years listening to them scare one another and hump each other to no end.

thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post here - and help us with our previous questions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.