Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection blood on bedding

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
I went down to feed the boys this morning and discovered blood on the shavings concentrated to one corner of the pen. I immediately called the vet and brought Ben in. After an xray and exam, Ben has a UTI so he's on smz for 14 days and some pain meds. He does have a tiny stone that is small enough it may pass as per the vet. At least it explains why he's been a little antsy the past couple days.

Is he ok? Do you have any pics of the bedding marks?

He'll be fine soon. We've gone through this twice.. My piggie perks up within 24 hours of the first dose of antibiotics. Please look into probiotics also, it helps prevent constipation while on antibiotics.

Is he ok? Do you have any pics of the bedding marks?

I took a picture of his pee area showing a dark red ring on his botom to take to the vet with my cell phone, however I don't have an adapter with this phone to download the pictures into the computor.

I took the picture to the vet along with the blood soaked shavings so she can have an idea what I saw.

He's doing so much better today. He's so much calmer and relaxed. I wish I new when this first started so I could of treated it earlier.

He's on Probiotics.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.