Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Guinea pig death

gagaluver4ever

Cavy Slave
Realisitically, only a guinea pig could fit under it's like the sizr of an iPhone but circle and long

chrisandpiggers

Cavy Slave
Can you perhaps take a picture and post it?
It dosen't have to be of the whole deck, but maybe just a picture of the hole where you guinea pig got through, this way we might be able to help you in finding an appropriate way to catch your pig.

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
I know this is going to sound horrible but have you thought of getting some Humane Rat Traps? They are pretty cheap and if you search the web I am sure you can find a way to make one. It will at least be a way to trap poor Cookie so you can get him back to safety.

Make/buy a few and put some carrot/celery/lettuce in and stand as far back as possible but with a view of all the traps so when you see Cookie getting trapped you can get her/him out as soon as possible.

rach08512

Cavy Slave
As in like the ones made of wood with the metal bar that snaps?? Or the metal cage ones that close when the rat goes inside? Wouldn't the wooden/metal snap bar ones break his leg? :/

gagaluver4ever

Cavy Slave
Here's a pic of Cookie sticking it's head out. I had a carrot there.

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
Oh he is alive, o please please save him!!!

BennyBooBoo

Cavy Slave
Ok take some treats and put a small amount in piles leading out of the deck. Lead it to say just the cage top on the ground with the door open. Have a blanket or towel handy. When Cookie eventually gets hungry he will eat the small piles and eventually will end up in the cage top. if you can lay on the deck on your tummy with towel in hand and wait for it. Once Cookie comes out from under the deck fully throw the towel on him. He will not see you because you will be above him. It will take time and patience.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'd get the guinea pig used to going through a tunnel to eat in a box at the end and, when you know you can catch him (with help blocking the end of the tunnel), slide cardboard over the door hole in the box.

thebeachdreamer

Cavy Slave
I would get a tunnel and put it up to the hole and put an igloo at the other end of the tunnel with some strong smelling bell pepper and other good veggies inside the igloo with maybe a few tiny bits inside the tunnel to get it to go through the tunnel into the igloo.......sit to the side where it can't see you until it walks into the igloo then close the end with your hand and scoop it up.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
You know, when Twix was alive, she got her head stuck in a grid.
I called the firestation and they pried her out with pliers.
You'd probably have to do that, but your deck may be taken apart.
Tell your dad that, it's either his deck or risking a dead guinea-pig (which he doesn't want).

Call the ASPCA and tell them you have an animal stuck under your deck and you need a trap. You may even have to tell them it's a cat from what i've read. =/

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
If you set up the frids, cover the top with the towel so he thinks that it's still covered and safe and when he is fully out close off the entrance to the deck and then grab him.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Here is my idea. get a length (about 2 meters) of black, plastic garden drainage tubing (pictured below). Cover one end in mesh, screen or even pantyhose. Secure it on well with a strong rubberband or tie it with string. Place some favored veggies in the end of the pipe with the screen on it and scatter a few more pieces along the inner length to temp the GP into the pipe. Place the open end of the pipe just barely inside or up against the opening under the deck. Then sit quietly and listen. You should hear it when the GP enters the pipe and moves along it. Once it's at least 2-3 feet (~ 1 meter) inside the pipe, quickly and gently move the end of the pipe away from the deck and immediately cover the end securely with your hand or a pillowcase. The GP should be trapped inside the pipe which can be picked up by 2 people and brought into the house to safely coax the GP out and into the cage.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Awesome idea VJ! Never would have thought of that!

Stacy123

Cavy Slave
gagalover...are you willing to tell us what country/city you are in? I am willing to contact agencies on your behalf and advocate for you/Cookie.

Stacy123

Cavy Slave
I hope that last post wasn't too forward. I just feel so bad about this pig being outside under the deck and so helpless. I just wish there was something I could do to help you rescue him. Otherwise, here is a suggestion...if the RSPCA won't help, the police won't help, your parents won't help...what about contacting PETA? They have an emergency number--in the US, it is 757-434-6285. Maybe they can advocate and get you some help rescuing Cookie. If you aren't in the US, I can try to find out the numbers for other countries....

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Does your RSPCA rent or sell humane traps? You can set one up with food and etc. The pig may go in it.

Otherwise the pipe may work.

Or if you have extra grids you can set up a pen.

rach08512

Cavy Slave
I know everyone is suggesting to ring about a million resuce shelters all over the place to come and get him out. But I really can't see how anyone from rescues would be able to do anything more to help - other then setting up the veggie traps themselves. (Besides the fact that the RSPCA already said they won't come unless it's injured :sad:).

If anything, having heaps of people in front of the deck there trying to help bring him out would probably just scare Cookie even more, making him go further under the deck away from all the noise and people. I don't know, I could be wrong, I can't say I've ever had had a guinea pig stuck under a deck before :) but I really think making Cookie feel as though it's safe to come out (and safe to eat all the veggies!), either with the pipe idea or just blocking off the hole straight after he comes out so he can't get back in, would have the best chance of success.

Loud noises and heaps of people talking definitely scare the hell out of my pigs, especially when they were new to their surroundings - which Cookie is. I reckon if you just hide (really quietly) on top of the deck or set up some sort of trap like the pipe idea, and wait for him to come out and get some more veggies again. There's no way you're going to be able to force him out without freaking him out even more and making him want to stay under the deck where (in Cookie's eyes) it's safe and protected.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
I would do what VJ said, and be laying on the deck on your stomach. You will see from that 2-5 in gap that the pig has gone in, and you'd also be able to hear it...

I really hope you can get this guinea pig out alive.

gagaluver4ever

Cavy Slave
gagalover...are you willing to tell us what country/city you are in? I am willing to contact agencies on your behalf and advocate for you/Cookie.

I'm on the Gold Coast in Australia.

And some other people said things about traps and stuff, the RSPCA doesn't have traps. And I'm not in america so it's not ASPCA.

update.

I did the thing VJ said to do, and it got trapped outside of the deck but when i went to grab it i let go of the thing shutting off the deck, and it just rain back in :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.