Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Cocoa Got a New Friend!!

loveforlife!

Cavy Slave
Yayyyy!!!! I finally got cocoa a friend!!!!!! I adopted him last week!

His name is peanut, hes tan, black, white and like a chocolate brown! He also has a MOHAWK!!! I put them together yesterday and they are attached like super glue! hehe!!

I have a video of them first meeting [offically like without grids seperating them] and their first veggie time together!! :) It will be up soon.

Right now they are in a 2x3 cage, im planning on making it either a 2x4, or just adding a 1x2 loft.

They hardly did any of that dominace thing, except for some random mounting but other then that they have been very content with each other. By the way they are 2 males.

Heres a picture of him, sorry for the black backround the person in teh photo asked not to be shown so I just blacked it all out rather then just have a block splotch in the corner.

Cocoa Got a New Friend!!

The video will be up soon!

Kudos to you for adopting!

Did you know about quarantine? I'm curious as to why it was cut short, did I read your post correctly (said you got him last week and introduced them yesterday)?

The minimum cage size for two males is a 2x4, upper levels don't count towards square footage and males need all the space they can get.

I kept them seperate for a week, and actually I had to cut it short because Cocoa was starting to try and squeeze through the grids to get to the other cage, and almost got stuck a few times. Peanut also seemed healthy enough to be allowed with cocoa. I was actually only going to introduce them, then put cocoa in the other cage, but they just stuck to each other like glue.

I kept them seperate for a week, and actually I had to cut it short because Cocoa was starting to try and squeeze through the grids to get to the other cage, and almost got stuck a few times. Peanut also seemed healthy enough to be allowed with cocoa. I was actually only going to introduce them, then put cocoa in the other cage, but they just stuck to each other like glue.
Did you know that quarantine is meant to be in a seperate room with the doors closed for 3 full weeks?

EDIT: And did you not baby-proof the cage if you needed to?

Did I know that? I knew it was suppose to be a in a different room, yes... 3 weeks. No.

But I couldnt put them in a different room even if I wanted to. We have cats and were in an appt.

I honestly didnt think it needed to be baby proofed. Nor did I think much of it.

Where did you 'adopt' this baby?

I can't begin to tell you how many things you are doing wrong but let me try ...

Babies are small - they can fit through the grid squares and get stuck. If you had searched the forum for info on quarantine and introductions, you'd have known you were doing things all wrong.

Hopefully you are not spreading any parasites or illnesses around since I'm getting the suspicion you bought this baby at a pet shop.

Are you absolutely sure they are both boys? Babies are hard to sex for most.

So you knew about quarantine but you just ignored it? And it didn't click in your mind to do something after letting your pig almost choke "a few times"?

And you were planning to introduce then separate them?

Lovely. Just pick and chose what you want to do at the expense of your poor pigs. How about you start thinking??

eta: and you rehomed a pig a year ago? How long are you going to keep these two?

Last edited:
wow....... is all im going say.

How about you get after people who abuse animals, or keep them in teeny store bought cages, or dont change the cages or let them out....honestly???

I actually adopted this one at the 'local' shelter... ty very much. :sarcastic

Yes I rehomed a pig for good reasons. Obviously I dont plan on giving them away. Only if it was best interest for the pigs if something was to happen. My god. I still see the guinea pig I rehomed daily because I gave her to one of my close friends, and shes very happy and has a cage mate.

Last edited:
What type of grids do you have? Babyproofing is key. Also to the person who was harrassing you. Why are you assuming she bought her pig at a petshop? Did she say anything about that except the fact that she adopted. Seriously people on this forum are here to help out other guinea pig owners to give our pigs the best life they could possibly get. Sometimes I just think its all about people like you. Anyways peanut looks adorable! I'm happy they've bonded. Good luck!

Sorry loveforlife I'm a bit confuse, would you mind explain something for me? :)

If you had c and c cage before, why does your mum not think you should have one until you prove you clean enough for it? :) Sorry for confusion!

I agree with everyone else. You have been on the site and should have noticed the full quarantine period. I just hope your pigs don't get sick like mine did. My bf introduced them when I was not home. All 3 of my other pigs got sick and costed me an extra $75.

Thank you Victoria - Its good to have someone stick up for me :p

Snowprincess - Because last time she thought that it was 2 big and made my room a mess, so she wanted me to keep my room clean and tidy for a while to pretty much earn the C+C cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.