Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cage on the floor?

jojomuffin

Cavy Slave
The title says it all!

Can my pigs cage go on the floor? I've read that you should keep them on top of something...lol I know I'm hardly making sense!

so I put this to you - cage on the floor?! :)

jojomuffin

Cavy Slave
another question lol, ive noticed in the galleries that some people use carpet in their cages - is this better/worse? sell it to me! lol :-D

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
I have had cages on the floor in the past. However you need to consider the following. Unwanted interaction with other pets, curious small children, drafts, plus to a little piggy you look awfully big from the floor. So yes it can work to have a cage on the floor but be careful of the above.

As to carpet in the cage, you have the obvious problem of piggies peeing on it so it needs to be washable, do not use if your piggies are chewers as if they swallow the fibers it could cause problems. I have used carpet on ramps, etc quite successfully.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I have my cage on the floor. But it's in a quiet & rustic spot in my bedroom. I take care not to approach the cage too quickly & it hasn't really been a problem.

I may get a table for it, but it won't be too high up anyway. The walls of my room are slanted, so to make most of the space I have to keep things low to the ground.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
i dont think people really use carpet, you may have seen fleece and towels as bedding though

pennick

Cavy Slave
My 4x2 is on the floor. Its too big to put on anything. Anyway it blocks my dresser and I have to be able to move it away when I need to get to something so I have to keep it on the floor. My floors are carpeted so its fine. I use some carpeting on the upper level. They chewed on it at first because it was new to them, now they dont give it another thought. I used bathroom mats this way I can just throw them in the washer. This is just for the upper deck. The bottom is aspen. I tried fleece, sorry I didnt care for it. I made the coroplast 8 inches high so the aspen would have less of a chance to fling out. So far so good. My piggies are quite use to people walking on top of their cage so to speak, its so close to my bed, they are getting use to it.

Treen

Cavy Slave
My cage is on the floor as I leave it open during the day so they can free range. I don't have any kids or other pets to consider.

Guinea pig guy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Himino

Cavy Slave
I had my Jasper's old pet store cage on the floor untill resently. (I put it on a cat carrier.)
He had no problem with it, but it hurt my back to bend down so far.

jojomuffin

Cavy Slave
thanks for all your comments! I have put the cage on the floor for now, as it is really too big for any tables I have. Members of my family have all been told to keep an eye out for tables lol :)

Today is quite a big day! Im going to the local spca after work to get another piggy! rescued styleeee! :)

Saying that, Muffin was so diff last night, he was running about mad and wasnt scared of anything, he even took some food from my brothers hand, which he would have never done before. Im glad he is finally relaxing lol - Im starting to see his real personality!

Hopefully his new c&c cage will make him even happier! I will keep you posted on how everything goes!

and don't worry - i have read all the pages about quarentine and introductions - so no panics on my behalf cheers!

xjox

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
I tried putting cage on floor before. I also tried cage with stands. Both work well to me. If on the floor, then I will sit on the floor to pet them. If on stands, I will stand to pet them.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Mine is on the floor and I hate it on the floor. Have to constantly bend down or sit down on the floor to interact with them. Hurts my back and I ache afterwards. I may have to build a table with wheels for it, well see.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
you could get extra cubess and use them to make a stand

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here's the best of both worlds in my opinion:

cage on the floor?

The pigs are pretty much free-range. I'll take more photos and post them in the gallery a bit later.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
That is so cool! Mines on the floor because my room is simply too small for it to be on a table. If it were, then it would have to be made smaller because currently some of the cage is underneath my bed. I try to be careful though when I'm walking into the room, because I don't want to look too big. I usally walk into my room slowly (as I walk in the cage is directly to the left of me), I usually crouch down as soon as I get in there and pet them. I think its better to have it on a table, but I can't. Sounds silly, but I sometimes even crawl into my room, lol,

jojomuffin

Cavy Slave
they both seem extremely happy, lots of popcorning and running about :) thanks everyone!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My cage is on the floor as well. It's in a warm, draft free corner of the room and when I approach the cage to play with my girls, I get down on my knees about 2-3 feet away and crawl up. I have been known to clean up all the poops and climb in and sit in the cage with them as well. CoCo will run into my lap and the rest just run but they also seem to find my toes and try to nibble on them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.