Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help Please - I have a "boy" that may in fact be a girl

Hmm, I wonder if Duncan and Starbuck want to adopt some kids.

I think I just got a "Someone else to fight for lettuce for? No!"

I am reasonably certain she is not pregnant (and certainly hopeful).

Oh, and I've decided to name her Ruby.

I love that name!! Kisses to your new pig.

Ruby would be showing signes by now. Most likely, the lady just guessed on their sexes based on what her kids wanted.

She is sure the most cuddly little critter I've ever had. And she's eating her veggies, most of 'em, some hay, and some good KM pellets.

My husband surprised me, by suggesting acquiring another guinea instead of introducing her to either of my girlie herds. That would bring us to 14 pigs and he suggested (and I agree) that it might be better to just build another cage on the other side of the room rather than try to introduce her. Not for fear my resident girls wouldn't accept her, but just from a space standpoint, it's probably fairer to all pigs involved, and I would get to rescue another needy pigger!

So we'll see how all that goes. Keep your fingers crossed for some needy little girly pig in the Portland area.

Sounds as if your Hubby has cought the fever too.

Oh my Paula! You have definately converted your husband. I had trouble finding room for my one piggy.

You have such a big heart. Bless you for all the good work you do.

Give Ruby extra veggies for me!

That looks alot like a girl to me. But get him/her (no offense), to a cavy savvy vet to be professionally sexed. I thought my Coco was a gir, but the vet told me he was a boy, just small under parts.
Definetly get him/her checked. ASAP!!!!!

Yay, I'm so glad Ruby is doing so well. Can't wait to hear about the new girl you adopt to go with her.

I would have the gp checked by a vet immeadietly!

Awe, she sounds lovely and bless you for taking her in. :)

I hope you are able to find Ruby a new little friend. I live in Portland, and actually had quite a time finding any needy females in the area, when I was ready to adopt.

Are you familiar with Foggy Creek cavy rescue in Auburn, Washington? We adopted our first two girls from them and Lisa was just wonderful to work with.

I also want to make you aware of another small animal rescue in Vancouver, BC (don't rule it out because of distance, just yet). Little Mischief Rescue. I have adopted many rats, two bunnies and my second set of piggies through them. I've grown to know Simone as one of my dear friends and talk with her on a regular basis. I am also part of a local NW rat group that does many transporting trips up and down the I-5 corridor (I helped transport the most adorable nekkid piggie to his new home...and fell in love with pigs from there). The SPCA up in BC is always getting in piggies in need of a home, and Little Mischief Rescue helps when ever they can. They took in Joy and Hope (my piggies) who were bound for a petting zoo (to be bred over and over by the males there :mad: ) before LMR stepped in and took them into foster care. 3 weeks later, they were here in Portland with us.

Anyway, there are a few options if you end up having trouble finding Ruby a friend.

She's doing great. She did go to the vet - yesterday - and she is definitely a she. I make appointments to set up all the pigs to make sure there's nothing major that needs to be addressed and to get them established with our exotics vet here. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing my mind on that one.

She's also pretty healthy, no mites, etc., which surely surprised me because she was originally acquired from Petco. :eek: And she throws down veggies like a pro now!

I am familiar with Foggy Creek Rescue and the distance is no problem. Three of my girls came from the Seattle Humane Society, so it's no problem. Thanks for telling me about the BC rescue - do they have a website? I'd love to check them out!

I have located a mother and daughter piggy here, just in Hillsboro, so we'll see how that turns out. In the meantime if you want to email or PM me the link to the BC rescue I'd be mucho grateful!

Well, I went on a search for a companion to Ruby. I found a wonderful mother/daughter pair. The daughter is close to the same age as Ruby and the mom is about a hear and a half old. They went to the vet after I picked them up last night and said they could quarantine together since they were all so recently checked out and given a clean bill of health.

Their names, when I got them, were Hannah Montana (daughter) and George (mother). The family got what they thought were two boys.

I didn't want little Ruby to be alone any longer, so I did introductions last night, and although I had expected some squabbling, or something - they were fast friends and cuddling before I even had all their veggies out.

Here are the new girls, renamed - Sammie (daughter) and Gracie (l-r).

Ruby seemed so very grateful not to be alone. Here are some pics of the new buddies:

Looks like a girl. I hope that mother did something to that kid that squeezed the life out of a piggy. Some people have no brains...

What a beautiful little family. I'm so glad Ruby and her new sisters are doing great. They are all so pretty.

They're all so pretty. I'm assuming Ruby's the all brown one right? She is absolutely gorgeous and her coloring is so striking.

I knew you couldn't get just one, Paula. Guinea Pigs to you are like potato chips to other people!

The new family looks beautiful. Enjoy them. They are very lucky that you found them.

They are just the most gorgeous girls ever! And little Ruby just melts my heart. :love:

I'm sure they all know they have just hit the mother load and will live like royalty! :)

My last endeavor in adopting was suppose to be a single pig also and a I came home with another pair :). They are all very gorgeous girls.

BTW the last dog my family adopted from the pound was named Hannah Montana by my 5 yr old. I think there are a lot of those out there these days :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.