Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Introducing a male guinea pig to my two females

JoJo_Mazy

Cavy Slave
I have two female guinea pigs (Mazy and JoJo) that are 3 years old. They have been together since they were babies, and are very spoiled. :) I want to get a male guinea pig from the shelter who is about 2 years old. He is very mellow and sweet. Would it be a good idea to introduce him to JoJo and Mazy? I've heard some people say you should have at least 3 females before getting a male, but I've also heard the opposite. The only thing I'm worried about is the male guinea pig fighting with JoJo and Mazy. About three years ago they got into a huge fight due to stress and had to be separated for about a month. I just don't want them to start fighting again because of the stress of a new guinea pig.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Is the male neutered?

Two sows and one neutered boar has worked well for me in the past, he liked both girls and they both liked him. My neutered boar is currently with three sows now, but he gets along with one sow the best. I usually find him hanging out with the one sow and the other two are usually off in their own pair. Now this works well for them and they all get along, they are just happier hanging out with one specific other guinea pig.

However do not even consider this if unless either the boar is neutered, or all sows are spayed. Pregnancy is very hard on guinea pigs, the chance of complications leading to death is high, so you absolutely do not want that.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I'm not seeing anything in your post about your females being spayed nor the male being neutered.

If they are not fixed then it would be a horrible idea to introduce these 3 year old females to any male as a pregnancy would likely happen.

A 3 year old female who has had no prior births would likely mean pregnancy would lead to death for her and the pups due to difficulty during the birthing process.

Please don't do it. Not even supervised time together.

JoJo_Mazy

Cavy Slave
Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that he will be neutered before I bring him home. Then my vet said to "quarantine" him for about a month before introduction.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Good advice. A month away from them is absolutely necessary.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Yes, a month is about right. It takes that long for all the previously manufactured sperm to die and for some of the testosterone to leave his body. He will be more calm with less testosterone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.