Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Small poops & possible throw up?? (I know they can't but still!)

alohajen3

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone! I'm hoping someone has dealt with this before and can possibly offer some advice of what might be going on with our piggy.

Quick background... I have a small water dish that sits underneath our pig's water bottle spout because the thing drips, despite supposedly being dripless. Anyway.

Last night, I noticed that one of the balls from the spout had come out in the dish, which I didn't think much of, other than I'll probably have to get a new one. But I also noticed what looked like throw up in the dish as well, though I am well aware that guinea pigs cannot throw up. But that's the best way I can describe what I saw. It looked like bits of tiny chewed up romaine/spinach among other greens he gets. I didn't hear him cough or make any odd noises, but my daughter said she heard him coughing (his cage is in her room). He also had very small poop last night, but unfortunately I didn't get a good look this morning.

Also this morning, there was a little bit of the same looking stuff in the bowl, though this was more red, which I think has to do with the beet chewy stick thing that he munched on at some point, I wish I had taken pictures of what I saw last night and this morning.

A little more background... Snickers had a dental procedure done on Friday due to a broken tooth and has been on medicine, which I don't know the name of off the top of my head at the moment. My daughter gave it to him last night, without me supervising (she's 12), so now I'm wondering if maybe his stomach was upset because she might've given him a little too much? I'm honestly at a loss here and truly concerned about our pig! I've gotten really attached to that little bugger! We've only had him for a touch over a year, and he's only about a year and a half old. Kinda want to keep him around as long as we can!

Small poops & possible throw up?? (I know they can't but still!)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He's probably just got food stuck in his mouth, maybe because of the broken tooth. He's not throwing up food.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I agree, they usually have some food in their mouths and will even get some in the water bottle nozzle if they drink right after eating.

The medicine is probably for pain, unless a tooth was actually removed. But a broken tooth was probably just filed a bit to smooth it up.

Small poops indicate he's eating less. Have you seen him eating hay and pellets? Sometimes when a tooth is filed, they have trouble pulling the food into their mouths and getting it to their molars. to chew. Veggies cut into long strands like matchsticks will help him pull it into his mouth. You may have to help him for a few days if he's not eating or if he's dropping food.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.