Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New here but not to guinea pigs

AJA17H

Cavy Gazer
Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself. (But mostly my guinea pig) I have a female American breed. Her name is Carrie and I don't know her exact age because I adopted her and her sister, Woodlen, when they were a little older than the typical pet store pet. However, she is about 1 and a 1/2 years old. While I know one shouldn't just have one guinea pig at the moment I do, because her lovely sister went to the rainbow ridge this year. Luckily, Carrie seems to be doing okay. She has mostly brown fur with black hair mixed in. My cage does meet the requirements but I am searching for a bigger option. It cant be to much bigger though because I don't have that much space in my room. That is all I wanted to say so thank you for reading.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I am very sorry about Woodlen.

AJA17H

Cavy Gazer
How expensive are C&C cages? I think they would be a good way to only go a little bigger.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
The grids and coroplast could be around $120 or less depending on size and where you get it. I have a local rescue that cuts the coroplast and has grids.

The cost is equal to or less than a pet store cage.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost Woodlen. I have a single pig and she is very active, healthy, and social, so Carrie may do okay. I have a homemade 2x3 grid cage on a wood base. The base is made using a half-sheet of wainscotting framed with 1x2s around the edge. The wood is covered a layer of tyvek fabric cut from a waterproof mattress cover. Then I put down washable incontinence bed pads and a layer of fleece on top. The cage sits inside the frame. This was inexpensive and pretty easy to make. If you go this route, double check the grids to make sure there are rows of 9 squares. Some have larger squares and they are dangerous - pigs can get their heads stuck.

Here's a picture of my cage.

IMG_2923.jpg

AJA17H

Cavy Gazer
Thank you. I will have to wait a bit but it seems like it would work really well. I may also make a homemade cage.

EdgarDarwin

Cavy Gazer
Hello and welcome!I'm newbie too!Nice to meet you!

AJA17H

Cavy Gazer
It's great to meet someone else new. I feel so weird with everybody else knowing exactly what they are doing. I feel like they have just been here forever.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.