Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Here but Not to Guinea Pigs

lilpumpkamo

Cavy Gazer
I wasn't allowed pets growing up. In order to get a guinea pig, (my mom's coworker's guinea pig had babies unexpectedly) I had to give a PowerPoint Presentation to three of my mom friends/neighbors on my knowledge of guinea pigs and why I deserved one. The vote was 2-1 in my favor and the rest is history. I got Jerry in 2003 and I wish I could have given him a better life. My mom wouldn't let me get him a friend or bigger cage. Also now that I have had quinea pigs as an adult I realize Jerry was not a he but a she (Gerry?). I promised to make right by Jerry when I got my own place. I said for years that the very first day I got my own apartment I would buy two guinea pigs and give them a huge cage and an amazing life.

I made that dream a reality on my ~second~ day in my new apartment because I moved in on Memorial Day and the pet shelter I was adopting Honey and Oreo from was closed that day. I renamed them Kirby and Kaylor and immediately fell in love with them and guinea pigs as pets. I didn't have a bed frame or a couch but I had my two guinea pigs, and I was so happy.
262570692 928290944336711 402646867779251450 n
My first day with Kaylor and Kirby

I started browsing guinea pig Facebook groups and https://guineapigfinder.com/ daily. I kept thinking of how many guinea pigs like Jerry were out there that were seen as pets for kids that would be ignored after a few weeks when the excitement wore off. I found Lily on a Facebook page where the owner wrote about needing the pet out ASAP and asking if it was safe to let her out in the woods. I left work early feigning an upset stomach (although thinking of a pet guinea pig in the woods in the August heat did make me sick) and drove 90 minutes to pick up Lily. She was in a tiny cage and her nails were so overgrown it made me cry.
Fotoramio
My first day with Lily

For about a month I had bonding issues with the three pigs. There was a lot of fighting between Lily (who previously was a solo pig) and Kaylor and unfortunately Kirby got caught in the middle a lot getting a scratch on her face one time while I was at work. Then one day I came home to kind that Kirby had passed. It was a freak accident and thinking about it still makes me really sad.

That sadness and grief took me to craigslist where I saw a 3 month old posting of two guinea pigs for free. They were in a Midwest cage with GuineaDad liners so in my mind they seemed to be owned by someone who knew what they were doing somewhat. After a few messages back and forth I agreed to adopt Scooby and Shadow from a man whose kids had lost interest in them and wanted them to go to a good home. I renamed them Pumpkin and Momo. This time it was not smooth sailing. Pumpkin had constant diarrhea that smelled awful and Momo had a huge lump in the middle of her abdomen. The vet gave me some probiotics for Pumpkin but there was no easy fix for Momo.

263810739 2753174614983475 1086382767084823029 n
My first day with Pumpkin and Momo

It took a while to get everyone bonded but after lots of floor time, veggies, and cage adjustments. I settled in to my main four pigs. Lily, Pumpkin, Kaylor, and Momo (Lilpumpkamo).

261871596 2817688215197044 22906708219117540 n

LILPUMPKAMOor in this pic the order is KAPUMPLILMO (L->R)

Despite her lumps and bumps, Momo lived with me for 2 years before passing. After several rounds of unsuccessful treatments, I decided to allow her to cross the rainbow bridge quickly and painlessly. I started getting the itch for another guinea pig when the dynamic was thrown off with Momo passing. Momo was bonded with Pumpkin, obsessed with following and sleeping next to Lily, and her and Kaylor had an enemies to lovers type of arc that was in progress. I found Marzipan in a Facebook group. She already had a loving home but did not bond with the family's other pig and they wanted to give her a more permanent home as having two cages was a hassle. Marzipan was unlike any guinea pig I had met before. She loved being held and was so comfortable with people. Unfortunately she had a sudden stroke and passed only a few months after coming in to my life.

265380255 246080320960035 6481542234370212712 n
My first day with Marzi

So it was back down to three until earlier this week when Lily passed unexpectedly. Now it's just me, Kaylor (the OG) and Pumpkin. I am happy with the two for now as Kaylor is battling a wicked UTI and I do not want to stress her any more than she already is but I can tell Pumpkin, who is very social, is a little lonely.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you have so many stories and experiences to share!

Stick around for awhile and share them! Your girls are absolutely adorable.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Aww! Your piggies look so cute! Welcome to the forum, you seem like a very experienced guinea pig owner. :)