Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General I have a lonely piggie! What should I do?

celestial

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

I recently adopted three female piggies. My younger sister (she's 13) got a male guinea pig a while ago. I think she just bought him from a pet store and didn't do much research beforehand. His diet is fine but his cage is a bit small and he doesn't live with a friend! Of course, her being just a kid, she got bored of him and does not take him out to play or give him any attention anymore. I feel really bad for him! He has absolutely nothing to do all day and must be bored to death. I talked to my mom about the situation and we are trying to decide what to do.

The obvious option is to get another boy piggie, but my mom doesn't want another pet. And we definitely don't want babies so we can't let him play with my female pigs.

My mom just wants my sister to play with him every day and give him toys. Personally I don't really trust her to stick to that. I thought we could get him neutered so he could live with my guinea pigs, but I don't know if that's the best idea. I heard it's very expensive and could be dangerous.

Is it worth it to neuter him? Should I keep trying to convince my mom to get another boy? Or, is more human interaction enough to keep him happy?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Neutering can be expensive, but the cost varies widely from city to city, and even within the same city. I'd call around to exotic vets and see what they'd charge.

Any surgery can be dangerous. But with a good surgeon and good aftercare, he would likely be just fine.

If you can't get another buddy for him, maybe you could rehome him with someone who wants another male pig.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
If neutering isn't in the future, and he is living in less than ideal conditions (small cage, ignored by owner, no companion), then it'd be in his best interest to be rehomed or find a gpig rescue. It isn't cruel to send him off somewhere where he can have a better life if no one wants to provide for him anymore. It isn't fair for him to live his life like this this if your family isn't up to getting another pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.