Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Possible Bullying? Should I Separate?

rebecro

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I have two boars, around 8 months old I assume. I've had them for 6 months. Peanut has always been the dominant one. They have a 2x5 cage with a hay rack in the middle (accessible from both ends of the cage), two water bottles, two food dishes and multiple hides (with two entrances) . For the past two months or so, I've noticed that Peanut has been cornering Pua, chasing him during floor time, stepping on him, and when I give them veggies, Peanut puts his body in between Pua and the food. I have tried giving them both their own portion of veggies, but Peanut eats faster than Pua, and will eat majority of both of the veggies. This morning I woke up to Peanut cornering Pua and Pua whimpering. Since then, Pua has been hiding in a house all day, which is unlike him. I've been thinking of separating them, to see if Pua will perk up more. Is this a good idea, or should I wait and see if things escalate?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd take Pua out and feed him his veggies by himself. That way, you'll make sure he's getting enough veggies to eat.

Other than that, I'd leave them to work it out unless there's absolute fighting. Make sure the cage doesn't have too much furniture -- two hideys and a tunnel are plenty. Hang fleece in strategic place so they can't see all the way to the other end of the cage. Out of sight, out of mind is a good philosophy with adolescent pigs. They can easily run under the fleece if they're being chased, but they may be able to eat or nap in peace if the other pig can't see them.

rebecro

Cavy Gazer
I'd take Pua out and feed him his veggies by himself. That way, you'll make sure he's getting enough veggies to eat.

Other than that, I'd leave them to work it out unless there's absolute fighting. Make sure the cage doesn't have too much furniture -- two hideys and a tunnel are plenty. Hang fleece in strategic place so they can't see all the way to the other end of the cage. Out of sight, out of mind is a good philosophy with adolescent pigs. They can easily run under the fleece if they're being chased, but they may be able to eat or nap in peace if the other pig can't see them.

Okay thanks! I will try this

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.