Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to this

angelfoxdesigns

Cavy Slave
Hello! I'm from maryland and I'm extremely new to Guinea pigs. I've had dogs for forever and have owned hamsters before and now have decided to take a vested interest in taking on some guinea pigs.

I'm trying to do as much research as possible before buying my guinea pigs. I have already picked out materials to build the base of my cage, the coroplast is going to be 72×36 before scoring and I'm going to be getting c and c grids off Amazon to build the base of the cage. How do you guys reccomend scoring?

Next I was going to look into water bottles and food and bedding, what do you guys recommend for each of these things. I plan to keep you guys as updated as is possible as things change.

Attached is a picture of my sunfire winter white dwarf hamster who recently passed away. He was the reason I got into small animals.
e2e8aada593e50455a240c26b8481cd1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
The best way to score coroplast is to purchase the special tool that is made for it. I chose to use a carpet knife with the blade retracted and a metal straight edge. With a carpet knife you have to be very careful not to pass completely through the coroplast, but it does work.

There are a number of opinions on bedding. I am using fleece over wood pellets. Pros-lower cost for bedding, fleece doesn't get caught up in fur and stuff. Cons-more laundry. I would recommend a couple or more water bottles so that you can wash and rotate them in use. There are a lot of options for hay. I use a hay crib that attaches to the side of the cage, but will also stuff hay in a ball, tube, ect so my boy can 'forage'. Make sure it is Timothy hay. For young piggies look for a pellet specifically for them. I like oxbow for pellets myself, but there are other brands. Avoid pellets that have other stuff mixed in. There is a list of veggies in one of the forums and how often they can be fed. I would tack it on the fridge door for easy reference.

I found that the tacked post in the tops of the forums are a wealth of information. Take time and look through them. I look forward to seeing your updates and sharing more of my own.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just one thing to add... Please don't buy your guinea pigs. There are many, many, many guinea pigs in rescues and shelters that need good homes. Pigs sold in pet stores are bred and raised in horrible conditions. No pig deserves that. But when you buy one, you just create the demand for one to take its place, and the chain goes on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.