Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Is this ringworms?

mirabobell

Cavy Slave
Hi all, is this ringworms? Shall i bring my pig to vet now? Im scared [emoji24]
Is this ringworms?
Is this ringworms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Just to be clear, ringworm is a kind of fungal infection. Now it is possible that could be the start of a fungal infection, but it might not be. I personally wouldn't be rushing to the vet for this as it should be easily treatable at home.

The first thing I would suggest is getting some cold pressed coconut oil and applying it to the area at least twice a day for a week. This is because cold pressed coconut oil is good for dry skin on guinea pigs, and has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, it is also safe if they happen to accidentally eat any of it. If it starts to look better after a week keep up with the coconut oil until several days after it looks completely normal again, if it doesn't get better or gets worse post back here and we will be able to suggest a different cream to try.

mirabobell

Cavy Slave
Just to be clear, ringworm is a kind of fungal infection. Now it is possible that could be the start of a fungal infection, but it might not be. I personally wouldn't be rushing to the vet for this as it should be easily treatable at home.

The first thing I would suggest is getting some cold pressed coconut oil and applying it to the area at least twice a day for a week. This is because cold pressed coconut oil is good for dry skin on guinea pigs, and has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, it is also safe if they happen to accidentally eat any of it. If it starts to look better after a week keep up with the coconut oil until several days after it looks completely normal again, if it doesn't get better or gets worse post back here and we will be able to suggest a different cream to try.

Thankyou so much soecara! I will try to put coconut oil. Just a normal coconut oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Yes it is just coconut oil, but you want the jar to say cold pressed on it. It might not be on the front it might be in the small print on the back.

Other methods of processing coconut oil use heat which breaks down some of the oil, as a result it isn't as good for skin care purposes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.