Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Guinea pig bites all the time

Lyn2016

Cavy Gazer
I'm really frustrated.
I got my first guinea pig around 3-4 months ago but I'm no stranger to taking care of animals, my mistake was getting her from a pet store and my next one will be from a shelter (I live in an area that its difficult to find any rescue or shelter in at least 2 hours distance..) I though guinea pigs are easy care compare to a lot of others, yet I've been completely wrong. Now, I don't mind to deal with time and patience but this is bs.
This guinea pig seems to be young and she grown up and look so much better since, first weeks she been too scared which it's obvious so I stayed away trying to talk with her everyday. I've been taking care of her daily obviously with fresh veggies, hay, snacks, hiding places and a lot of space to run around. Her cage is far from noises and I will put her Youtube guinea pig noises from time to time. She been diagnosed around 2 weeks after I purchased her with mites and upper respiratory but got taken care by a vet a bunch of times and we managed to get rid of it. She squeak when she hear the fridge or when I talk with her from far so that's at least helps knowing she's happy.

The frustrating part is that I feel like she absolutely hate me. Every single time I try to approach she immediately run to her house and come out only a few minutes later but doesn't let me pet her at all. Every single time I try to pick her up is by lure her to a hiding spot and pick her up with it gently.
the moment she is on me she cant be eased for a second, she will always bite me if my fingers are in reach and I will try to find a way to pet her and hope she will stay in one place. She will let me pet her for 30 seconds on her back or sometimes let me get away with petting her nose for 15 seconds but the moment she will see my fingers she will come to try to bite. I checked her teeth and they look even and it's just really seem like a behavior issue and I don't know what to do. It's not a nibble or smelling.. its a strong bite that leaves a mark and redness. It's become so annoying that I don't enjoy picking her up and spend time with her anymore besides from far. She always like to be picked up cause she likes to explore and get excited when she get out of the cage, she squeak everywhere but it's just impossible to hold her because she just biting really hard. If I put her on me to try and spend time with her and pet her she will bite me anywhere she can. any suggestions?

Are you sure all the mites got killed? They make pigs mighty cranky and prone to bite. What medication did she have? What strength? How much of it? How often?

Yep, took her to the vet and she got revolution (selamectin) for puppies/kittens over 3 months (1 does every month 0.25mL) and when we went back the vet confirmed that she is clean now. The upper respiratory been solved with antibiotics.

How did the vet "confirm" the mites are gone? Skin scrapings are wholly ineffective and are very painful for the pig. Mites burrow under the skin and are microscopic so just a look at the skin won't give much info.

Every pig has a different personality and some just don't like to be touched or held. It's unfortunate but not all guinea pigs are snuggly. We have 5 and out of those they all have different personalities. One loves to be pet but bites us, our clothes, the blankets whatever when we hold her, another won't let us touch her at all and one only likes to be pet occasionally and the other 2 love pets and cuddles. Its unlikely that they hate you, you just have one of the pigs that doesn't want to be touched. Over a very long period of time you may be able to train it to tolerate pets by gaining their trust with treats. It just takes time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.