Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine Sign of labor breathing/ having cold. How long can he tolerate?

Plainteddy

Cavy Slave
I got boar yesterday afternoon
He is1.5 month American short hair

I honestly thought his body temper was warmer
than other gp but didnt think it was serious
Breeder farm temp is 40+ celsius
My home temp is 20+ celsius

At night I started hearing his breathing noise
Today the noise is louder
I also noticed he use his belly to help with breathing

Its long holiday so Im unable to take him to vet
but I have antibiotics
He can still eat and walk. No other sign of being sick.

How long can he tolerate it without taking prescription
If not really necessary I dont want to use antibiotics

Anybody gp has this kind of symptom or having cold and it can recover without
intervention? It will take almost a week until he can see exotic vet.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Is he making the sound all the time or does the sound stop for a bit before starting again? If you put your ear against him and listen to his breathing can you hear a crackling sound or does it sound like he is whining softly?

Guinea pigs don't get a cold, but they can get respiratory infection. Guinea pigs can also whine if they are in pain, so just because he is making sounds while breathing doesn't always mean an infection. If the breeders place was that hot he may have had heat stroke, temperatures over 30 Celsius can and often will cause heat stroke in guinea pigs, was his chin wet when you brought him home?

However I will say some guinea pigs are just very vocal and will make sounds almost all the time, even sleep talking so just because he is making sounds doesn't mean there has to be something wrong but it certainly worth looking into.

Has he pooped since you have had him, if so do they look normal?

Plainteddy

Cavy Slave
Is he making the sound all the time or does the sound stop for a bit before starting again? If you put your ear against him and listen to his breathing can you hear a crackling sound or does it sound like he is whining softly?

Guinea pigs don't get a cold, but they can get respiratory infection. Guinea pigs can also whine if they are in pain, so just because he is making sounds while breathing doesn't always mean an infection. If the breeders place was that hot he may have had heat stroke, temperatures over 30 Celsius can and often will cause heat stroke in guinea pigs, was his chin wet when you brought him home?

However I will say some guinea pigs are just very vocal and will make sounds almost all the time, even sleep talking so just because he is making sounds doesn't mean there has to be something wrong but it certainly worth looking into.

Has he pooped since you have had him, if so do they look normal?

Unless breathing sound he acted normal
eat pee poo walk run
But surely the noise is from his nasal cavity
The noise is similar to human hiccup

I didnt notice anything watery when I got him
but it probably cause his main body is black so it hard to see

Plainteddy

Cavy Slave
Update

He died

Soecara

Cavy Slave
My condolences.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost him.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry about the death of your boar. It sounds as though he was ill when you brought him home? You hardly had the opportunity to know and love him.

Stick around the Forum......you will learn a lot here with all the conversations about cavies.......how to keep them healthy and happy, and why we love them. Learn all you can and don't be afraid to try again.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry you lost him.

Plainteddy

Cavy Slave
Sign of labor breathing/ having cold. How long can he tolerate?Sign of labor breathing/ having cold. How long can he tolerate?
Sign of labor breathing/ having cold. How long can he tolerate?

Thank you. This is him.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He was an adorable little fella, who barely had a chance to live. I'm quite sure he would have already been gravely ill when you got him, and you may not have had enough time to save him regardless. I am deeply sorry for your loss.

As @spy9doc said, you barely had a chance to get to know him and love him. Don't be afraid to try again, there are others who need a good home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.