Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Does my guinea pig like me?

topaz259

Cavy Slave
He is a male guinea pig, 4-5 months old. I have had him for one week. When I first got him, he would stay in his igloo for the whole day. If I walked into the room, he would run back to his igloo. When I tried to pick him up, he would run around the cage. He wouldn't eat any food from my hand and he trembled when I held him.
Now, my guinea pig goes back into his igloo about half the time when he sees me. When I try to pick him up, he doesn't come out to greet me, but he doesn't usually run away when I try to pick him up. He doesn't usually tremble when I hold him. He will eat from my hand after maybe 10 or 15 minutes of just staring at it (if it's a new food) but if it's lettuce, he gobbles it up after sniffing for a second.
Have I been making good progress based on the amount of time I've had him, and what does he think about me?

He's a guinea pig, and they are prey animals. The more time you spend with him, the better he will get used to you. That said, because he's a prey animal they are always afraid of everything. Rare is a pig who LIKES to be picked up, but some tolerate it.

The fastest way to his heart is through his stomach. Yummy treats will go a long way to helping him trust you, but don't overdo it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.