Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Best Method to tame boys??

Jesshope257

Cavy Gazer
Hey,
I recently adopted 3 18 month brothers. (They are adorable.) I believe they were quite comfortable with the rescues manager.
I've done a bit of research, and I know that food is the best method. But there is conflicting information about picking them up.
So what point do you start holding them? And what do you think is the best taming process.
Thanks in advance!!

Handle them often!

Both my boys were 4 wks. and 6 wks. old when they came to live with us. Their cage sits alongside my desk where I can occasionally reach in for a pat or even to take them out for a 5 min. cuddle. They will learn your voice, your smell, and your touch. Be very gentle with them and don't make sudden movements that they aren't expecting....at least in the beginning. They will be more comfortable in a cage that is off the floor so that their hoomans don't tower over them. When my boys are in the loft, they are just about at eye level and seem to like that.

Food is a powerful motivator with cavies. In the beginning, feeding them a treat will motivate them to want to be near you. But, there comes a time when you simply don't want to do this because they will come to expect a treat every time they are picked up. Yes, I occasionally give the boys a treat (slice of apple, dandelion greens, corn husks, celery leaves), but I don't bribe them with food.

Cavies also develop a routine and some simply don't like to sit with us during the day. They have pretty predictable nap times and we try to respect that. They are fed a large salad around 5-6pm and generally go to bed after that. Around 8:30pm or so, we have lap time (often for at least two hours) during which time all of us sit and relax together.

It takes time for you to learn about them......and them about you. They are as different as we humans are and deserve to be treated with love and respect. The joy for us comes in the observation that we have raised two very happy, healthy, and secure little souls.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.