Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigsitting Separate or together

Mousewife

Cavy Slave
Background: I was sure all attempts at bonding were failed and done after my teen-pig, Ginger, was badly injured. The boys went into a large 4x3 grid cage with a fence separating the space into 2 2x3 spaces. To make cleaning easier, I just used single bedding to cover the whole space and put the fence in on top. They started hanging out by the fence all the time, and chewing the bars became a problem. Last week, they somehow managed to knock down the fence and I woke up to find them on the same side. Not fighting. This kept happening, so I gave the cage a good clean and let them have it. They seem fine. I can put the fence back in easily enough if they go at each other, but things are quite calm.

So now I have a dilemma. I had arranged 2 separate pig sitters for while I am on vacation. One DEFINITELY cannot take both, as she has two sows and a small house. The smell of the girls would definitely spur fighting.

How much would it set the piggie relationship back if I stick with my original 2 sitter plan? Could I put them back in with the fence and expect a similar slow-burn to getting along?

having someone in the house is not ideal, a 3x4 is very large for someone to take, and we are gone for 3 weeks.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
What about the other sitter? Does she also have sows? If not, would she be willing to take both? Ideally, once they're together and are past the fighting stage, it's best to keep them together. I don't think there's any guarantee that if they're split up over the vacation that it will be possible to put them back together using the "slow-burn" introduction method. Besides, if they were chewing the bars incessantly when you had the cage split, it could be very bad for their teeth to go through that repeatedly.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
They will likely need to be re-introduced if you separate them for vacation. I would look for a sitter that will take both.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.