Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Adding third pig?

bbxylee.m

Cavy Slave
Ive had a boar duo for about a year now. Theyre very friendly with one another, netiher seem to be too dominant. They're four and are brothers. I've been wanting another pig. Would it be a good idea to get antoher? I have a 3x5 for the two of them. Im okay with a spayed female or male.. Im just not sure if it would be a good idea, or which would be better. Ive heard many people say its bad to try, others say it worked fine. The rescue near me bonds them there in case things dont work out. I'll also be getting hardwood floors within the next month, so they will freeroam their room if i can litter train them. Should i try it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nope, it's not a good idea. Boar trios almost never work, and we never recommend them. That's not to say that occasionally a boar trio will get along, but introducing a new boar to an established pair is almost certain to fail, and you can wind up with three solo pigs, none of which will live with any other.

It also doesn't work to have multiple boars with females, whether one female or many. Even if they're all spayed/neutered, the males will still fight over the female. In all the years I've been around guinea pigs, I could count on one hand, with three fingers left over, the number of times I've heard of a successful multiple boar herd. In both cases, the herd was very large and free ranged a whole room plus a yard they had access to.

You can't litter train pigs. If your pigs are cooperative, they may choose one or two places to do their business and you can catch most of the output. But if they're not cooperative, they'll go anywhere, willy-nilly, and you'll have a lot of cleaning up to do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.