Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Should I handle my piggies more?

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Is it necessary/important to bonding to handle piggies daily? My nightly routine with my piggies is put a little low front basket into the cage that they jump into, I use that to carry them into their pen for floor time. Then they hop back into the basket and I put them back into their clean home. While in the basket I will pet them, and sometimes will sit in their play pen and hand feed veg but I have never done a lap time.
Should I be doing more with them? I do take them out for floortime at least every other day, and do hand feed treats in their cage for breakfast but don't actually hold them.

Thanks for the help!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would actually be afraid of carrying them around in a low basket, in case one of them decided to jump.

I'm a firm believer of holding my piggies. I'll sit Sly on my chest and give him some sort of treat on a regular basis. He'll make a mess of my shirt but I don't care, honestly. The young fellas are starting to get into the routine as well.

They're such a joy to have and hold, so why wouldn't you want to?

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
The basket is only low in the front, it is a stacking basket that I carry right against my body so there is no chance of them hopping free. They both freak out when held which is why I don't unless its for nail trims or a bath. And trying to set them down from holding is a nightmare because they try so hard to jump free I have almost had them hurt themselves. My one pig likes to be pet though. I adopted them as adults from homes that they were not socialized.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I know they freak out when being held now, but the only way to "socialize" them is to handle them. The more, the better. Obviously you know them far better than I ever would, but holding them while offering a special, tasty treat might make them more amenable to lap time?

And the more you do that, the more used to it they become. Granted, some piggies will never like to be held, but I would think most would at least tolerate some lap time with a tasty morsel or two.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Ill give that a go, they do like their veggies :) I did notice after a bath they had no issues with me holding them so it is possible. Thank you for the advice.

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
Mine were adopted from a similar situation and didn't like being held at First. Now one snuggles under my neck when I watch TV with him. The other is slower to come around. He eats his snacks then starts tugging on my shirt to go back. So I don't hold him quite as long as the other.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.