Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior What do you do with the excess hay when cleaning cage?

Rockzilla77

Cavy Slave
Hello! So I cant actually can?t find a answer to this so when I clean my pigs cage they have A Lot of hay in there cage (mostly just one pig) anyway should I just throw the dirty hay outside? Or What like I can?t throw it away cause the smell will fermented in the house. So I guess what I?m asking is what do you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my area we have an organics pickup, in addition to recycling. You can throw it in there if you have a similar program. If not, just throw it in the trash, or put it in an outdoor composter if you have one.

In the summer it goes in the garden. Otherwise, in the trash.

I have a large garden. In summer the excess hay when I clean the cages gets used as mulch. The poop either gets put in the compost or scattered as is under plants as a fertilizer. The rest of the year (or if I have already put down enough mulch) all the excess hay and poops gets put into one of my two compost heaps.

If my compost heaps are ever both full (almost never) I put the guinea pig waste either in my green waste bin or give it to one of my friends or my sister for their gardens.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.