Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Do I need to give away my guinea pigs?

momomiyamommy

Cavy Slave
My moms been diagnosed with leukemia and she's going through treatment to kill her immune system leaving her immunocompromised. She is not supposed to be around animals, wood chips, hay, and mold. I have a problem where mold keeps growing in the cage because of dripping water bottles, I've bought 3 brands but they all drip into the cage and they like to poop under the water bottle, even when I move it. I have been injured and my vertebre slipped and I can't bend down (to pick them up, clean their cage, let them have floor time). I can barely give food and water, but I do. My mom is in the hospital and my dad will NOT help with clean up or get anything for the piggies. I can't drive and can't get the bedding they need and my mom will be in the hospital for 3 more weeks. I have been depressed for a while and can hardly feel joy when I see them and it breaks my heart becsue they are good piggies and I want them to be happy. They feel more like a chore now rather than things I love. BUT when I think about giving them away and never seeing them again I can't stop crying, I'm crying as I write this. I don't want them to go to a home that will harm them or use them as bait for snakes/fighting dogs. Due to these unfortunate events I feel like crap I don't know why I can't love them like I did before.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry about your mom.

Sometime life deals us situations we'd rather not have happen, where there are choices that have to be made that no one wants to make. Your mom's health has to take precedence here, which means you need to make other arrangements for your pigs. Since your mom will be in the hospital three more weeks, that gives you time to find a good safe home for them that you can feel comfortable with.

I don't know how up-to-date this list is, but Guinea Lynx has a list of guinea pig rescues, and there are several pretty close to you. One of them might be able to help you place your pigs. See https://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations.html for the list.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
This is always a hard decision but it sounds like you already know what you should do. Based on your mom's condition and your inability, because of your back, to provide the care they need, it might be best to find them a good home where you know they will get the love and care they need. Perhaps you can find them a home where you can visit. You can always interview potential families, do a home visit to see where they would be living, make sure the environment would be suitable and that the family knows what they need.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.