Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New piggie owner!

ktpiggie

Cavy Slave
Hi, guys. Me and my new piggie Jules are joining this forum and can't wait to learn more about each other!
I am a first-time owner. I'm learning now that I bought him a bit spontaneously but love him all the same. (I did more research after buying him than beforehand). But I am prepared to do what I can to make him comfortable.
It's been three days now so he's still a bit shy. I've held him a few times but he still doesn't love when I try to pick him up so I'm taking it slow for now.
I'm planning to buy some toys on the weekend so for now I've constructed two separate ones from home... a cardboard tube stuffed with hay and a string that hangs spinach leaves from it. He seems crazy about both.
I also made him a dark bed with bedding, hay and fleece. He won't leave it! I think that's good, but I also hope he feels comfortable soon.
His cage has a ramp that he never uses... he likes being underneath it more. I might need to do some rearranging.
Anyone have good tips of DIY tunnel or mazes? I made a big maze for him two days ago that he loved but it was made with any item I could find and he easily escaped.

Also... I live alone so when I go to sleep or go to work, there isn't anyone else here for him. When I come into the room, I can't tell how much sleep he's gotten. He seems to always be on high alert. Any ideas?

Really looking forward to all the help!

KT.

Congrats on your new cutie! Before you know it he'll be running up to the edge of his cage when you arrive home waiting for veggies! They can recognize the specific sounds of their people's footsteps after awhile. Just take it nice and slow but unfortunately they will probably always run when you try to get them out. It can be frustrating but being a prey animal, no matter how much they get used to you they really put the "running pig" into their namesake.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.