Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General New Guinea Pig Owner Questions

ReiSixx9

Cavy Gazer
Okay, I have a few questions. :)

1. Is just fleece over towels sufficient bedding? If so, how often do you clean it? Anything else I should know?

2. I've never had two guinea pigs at a time. I know they're very sociable animals and I've seen many people house their pigs together, but I can't help but worry when putting two pigs together. Will they be okay?

3. I've researched the proper size for a cage, but I wanna know what you guys think. Is 70x105cm enough for two pigs or should I try for something more like 70x140cm or 70x175cm?

1. I wouldn't use towels. They will become quite stinky very quickly and you will have to change them way more often than you would with another absorbent material.

2. Will they be okay? You're asking us to predict the future. No one can know that but making sure your cage is large enough to accommodate 2 pigs, that your hideys have multiple openings, that there is 2 of everything and doing introductions properly will go a long way.

3. The cage being large enough will depend on if your two are males or females. In many cases, males need more room in order to live together peacefully.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/
https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/why-so-big
https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/about-candccages

. What would you recommend that's cost effective? Since I love in Australia I'm having trouble finding anything.

2. Two of everything? So one for each pig or two for each pig?

3. Huh, I didn't know that. Thank you. :)

1. If you are using fleece, make sure you have prepared it to wick moisture. If this isn't done. Not having an absorbent layer underneath will be the least of your problems. https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...ce-Project-The-Study?highlight=fleece+project. Puppy pads will work under fleece. U-haul pads are great as well.

2. One for each pig. Don't give them a reason to fight over resources.

3. You're welcome

Yeah, I was thinking about puppy pads, but I can't find anything that will fit my cage (160x90cm). That's why I was thinking maybe towels under fleece, but while that's way cheaper I'm scared it'll be such a hassle to clean plus it'll smell pretty quick.

I have used a combo of towels and puppy pads under fleece. I put towels under the entire cage but added puppy pads on top of the towels in the areas with the most use - eating and sleeping areas. Then fleece on top of the whole thing.
The towels get stinky but the puppy pads help them last a little longer. I bought large or x-large pads and cut them in quarters and changed them out daily. The towels lasted about four days.

Be sure they can't get at the puppy pads. Some piggys eat them and that's not good.

Yeah, I was thinking about puppy pads, but I can't find anything that will fit my cage (160x90cm). That's why I was thinking maybe towels under fleece, but while that's way cheaper I'm scared it'll be such a hassle to clean plus it'll smell pretty quick.

Puppy pads are fairly small, you would need several depending on how big your cage is. They are designed to absorb urine so you know they would do a good job. Plus guinea pigs would pee a lot less than a puppy would at one time.

Thanks for the helpful info CavyMama, I was going to use towels but I'm having second thoughts. I think UHaul padding but I don't know where to get it. Any suggestions?

You said your cage is 160cmx90cm? That's only a tad bigger than a 2x4 C&C cage... 2 females would probably be fine in that, but I wouldn't try 2 males. A 2x4 (71.12cmx142.24cm) is the minimum for 2 females, although a 2x5 (71.12cmx177.8cm) is recommended, and a 2x5 is the minimum for 2 males, but a 2x6 (71.12cmx213.36cm) is what's recommended by most.

The bigger the better. One of the common reasons guinea pigs fight is because their cage is not big enough. Go as big as you can. The bigger the cage, the better chance you'll have at keeping them together peacefully. Personality also plays a major role when bonding guinea pigs. If you've got 2 extremely dominant guinea pigs, most likely, it won't work out. A dominant-submissive pair is what you want. If you adopt (Which you should. Please don't support the cruelty by buying guinea pigs from a pet store/breeder.) you may find a shelter that knows which guinea pigs are submissive and who is dominant. Usually, it's the all-guinea pig shelters that know that kind of stuff... but who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. Shelters also sometimes have pairs/groups that are already bonded. If so, you don't have to do introductions. However, if you get piggies that have never met you'll need to do introductions. Here's everything you need to know: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

If you have the right cage size, you did introductions properly, and you got 2 compatible pigs.... everything should go well. Piggies really benefit from having a friend.... https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/2982433.html

Good luck :)

Thanks much for the link.

Fleece is a very good bedding choice but can be quite pricing if you purchase liners from shops. For fleece you need to have an absorbent layer underneath the fleece to soak up all the urine. U-Haul is one of the best and it can be purchased at a moving store.

With fleece you need to "spot clean" or sweep at least 2x a day. The bedding itself should be washed in the washing machine 1-2 times every week.

Towels could be used as the absorbent layer but it generally does not work as well as the U-Haul.

As for keeping guinea pigs in pairs you really shouldn't worry about it. If you are going to adopt a pig for a pig you already have make sure you go to a rescue that allows you to introduce before you adopt. This way you can (almost) assure that the pigs will get along.

Thanks CavySlave for the cage info as well. The links supplied a Welth of info. Trying to read as much as we can.

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful info. Appreciate it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.