Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Read this before you even think about buying a guinea pig

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The following post was made by a GL member who's a long time rescuer in the Chicago area. A county animal control unit in the area called a local vet, who called the GL rescuer.

The vet and her husband drove there and I started networking to find a place for as many as I could. Sadly only about 1/2 made it out. She wasn't in the home but as the animal control garage where there were 2 - 2 car garages full or guinea pigs. There were several that had severe URI's. Not sure if it's from the ammonia in the house or if they were truly ill but as we all know if they were truly ill that can spread fast. There were several lethal whites, several that had club feet and couldn't walk, nails embedded in pads, the silkies and peruvians had fist size matts all the way to the skin. I know it wasn't easy but they had a cargo van that was full when they left. I did find a couple groups to take some. We decided tonight to not transport the younger ones and give them time to get a little larger then we'll start moving them out. Char, thanks for the offer but for now we're good. we have lots of pregnant females and there are several roans. Both Julia and I are holding our breath to see what we get.....The really sad thing isn't the ones that had to be euthanized it's how gorgeous some of the pigs are and what a shame. She was selling them to pet stores for $5.00 each and feeding them some cheap feed so many are under weight. Keep me in your thoughts. Needelss to say Rose the hustler will be selling guinea pigs on street corners soon (just kidding). I'm sure my padded room will have guinea pigs and chickens in it....

This is the rule, NOT the exception, when getting pet store guinea pigs. If you buy one, they order another from the same supplier. Adopt, don't shop!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Breeder tubs, each with 3-5 guinea pigs in them, from the breeder in the above post:

Read this before you even think about buying a guinea pig

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
@bpatters this makes my heart hurt. Where are they located? Any ways to help the rescue?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're in northern Indiana, near Chicago. EARPS is one rescue in the area, Critter Corral is another. If I find any more, I'll post them.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Critter Corral is usually packed to the gills. I adopted my pigs from there. @pinky is a member here who volunteers with them. She might have an idea of rescue possibility.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There were 409 pigs seized from the home. Some had to be euthanized, but they farmed them out as best they could. This happened two or three weeks ago, but I'm sure if anyone wanted to look up one of the rescues and donate, it would be much appreciated.

Calebgbart

Cavy Slave
The following post was made by a GL member who's a long time rescuer in the Chicago area. A county animal control unit in the area called a local vet, who called the GL rescuer.

This is the rule, NOT the exception, when getting pet store guinea pigs. If you buy one, they order another from the same supplier. Adopt, don't shop!
The thing about this that is so hard is in more rural areas it's not as easy to adopt piggies as there aren't many to be had outside of pet stores... I got all of mine from pet stores after looking at every shelter and finding none.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

silverblood

Cavy Slave
I'm the same way. I live in lower Alabama and the nearest shelter that takes guinea pigs is eight hours away. I even emailed out of state shelters to see if they could help. It's a shame about those pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.