Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C The making of my Guinea Pig Cage

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I had time to finally make a video of making my cage. We currently experiencing a blizzard which means stuck inside :) Hope you enjoy the video.

[video=youtube_share;RNd1mFrfhlQ]https://youtu.be/RNd1mFrfhlQ[/video]

Wandalea

Cavy Slave
Awesome! Piggies are part of our families.

librarychick

Cavy Slave
You have the wood chips stuff UNDER the fleece? Neat, I've never seen it done that way before!

Your girls are beautiful and that cage is amazing :)

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
You have the wood chips stuff UNDER the fleece? Neat, I've never seen it done that way before!

Your girls are beautiful and that cage is amazing :)

Yeah....check this thread out...I love using wood pellets under the fleece, neutralizes the odor.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-weeks-of-wood-pellets?highlight=wood+pellets

I wised I lived closer so I can take in your girl. Have you thought about fostering some piggies to keep your other senior pig some company?

librarychick

Cavy Slave
I may have to try that. I end up doing LOTS of towel laundry with my cage.

I have looked at that, but there are literally no small animal rescues nearby. There was a pig rescue 4 hours away a few years ago, but they folded when she got swamped with no one adopting but her foster homes. There are a few which will take in pigs, but they either have enough foster homes or don't have pigs at all right now. Or only have males. Our city has WAY more males than females because most of the pet stores divide by sex, and they prefer to have males (since females sometimes have surprises...).

If fostering was an option I'd definitely try that. We already foster kittens :)

catfabulos

Cavy Slave
I have a question - everybody has been so helpful on here I thought someone would have some experience with this. I have a Guinea that I adopted last year. I keep hearing that they do better with a friend but do pigs and rabbits make companions? I don't want to get a male pig if they fight. Don't want babies either so I thought a dwarf bunny might be an option. Any input?

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
I have a question - everybody has been so helpful on here I thought someone would have some experience with this. I have a Guinea that I adopted last year. I keep hearing that they do better with a friend but do pigs and rabbits make companions? I don't want to get a male pig if they fight. Don't want babies either so I thought a dwarf bunny might be an option. Any input?
No, they wouldn't. Rabbits and guinea pigs were never meant to be together, as they can get diseases from the other animal.

Soecara

Cavy Slave

Rabbits don't make good companions for guinea pigs. They are two completely different animals with vastly different ways of communicating, a guinea pig doesn't understand the body language a rabbit displays like another rabbit would, nor can a rabbit talk to a guinea pig as they don't make the same vocalisations. Rabbits also pose a danger to a guinea pig, as a single kick from a rabbit of any size has the potential to break a guinea pig's bones which can be potentially fatal, and rabbits can kick for a number of reasons such as annoyance and happiness.

Here is a good page to read https://www.guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm

Two male guinea pigs can get along just fine as long as they are introduced correctly, are housed in a large enough cage (a 2x5 c&c or a 3x3/3x4 c&c are the minimums recommended for a pair of boars), and they have compatible personalities. If you have a rescue near you, you may be able to take your boar in and find a boar who is compatible with him. There is also a long shot that you may be able to find a spayed sow, though they are very uncommon unless you have a rescue in your area who has a desexing policy, where they desex all animals before rehoming. If you have trouble finding a rescue near you, we may be able to help you if you tell us where you are roughly located (city and state).

Here is a great page to read about introductions https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

catfabulos

Cavy Slave
I'm on Oahu, Hawaii

Soecara

Cavy Slave
@catfabulos here is what a quick google search turned up.

(broken link removed)
That link turns up 7 guinea pigs, 3 female 4 male, the females are all unaltered so they are off the table, but all of the boars are neutered. Maybe one of them is located near you?

I'll have another look on google once I have a bit more free time, maybe I'll be able to turn up something else.

catfabulos

Cavy Slave
Thanks for that link. I checked the HHS first and did see those listed but didn't see on their profiles that they were neutered. I've also been looking on CL, that's where I originally found Sam.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.