Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine Is quarantine necessary?

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
So I've mentioned in other threads how I am going to be adopting a third piggie after I've expanded my cage. I've seen a lot of people saying how quarantine is a must for new pigs, but my question is, is it really necessary? My local humane society rescued several DOZEN guinea pigs from a hoarding situation sometime earlier this month, and when I contacted them about it, they said they are mostly in foster homes being monitored for pregnancies and illness, and they would be ready for adoption around early March. I would imagine any illness would make itself known to the fosters and rescue in this amount of time? I would quarantine if I could, but I simply do not have the space in my room, and there's absolutely no way I can keep a pig anywhere in the house but my room. My parents would kill me. Not to mention we have cats, pretty well behaved but cats nonetheless, and I like being able to shut the door on them and know the pigs are completely safe while I'm at work. I can imagine the need for a quarantine if the pig comes from say craigslist, but I've already decided against that site. I want to help out one of the pigs that were rescued, plus I'll be able to choose from so many since they rescued a ton. But what do you guys think? Could I get away with this? My pigs are very healthy as it is, and I imagine after such a long amount of time being monitored any pigs I adopt would be free of illness. What is the likelihood that my current pigs could get sick? Does it happen very often? I always read horror stories about illness, but I can't help but think that these are overall healthy creatures. I did read somewhere that the likelihood of having a huge expensive vet visit is low for pigs in general. That doesn't mean I think I can't happen, because it's always a possibility. But really, what are the chances, over the first few years anyway?

Again, I rambled, I'm sorry, lol. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
So I've mentioned in other threads how I am going to be adopting a third piggie after I've expanded my cage. I've seen a lot of people saying how quarantine is a must for new pigs, but my question is, is it really necessary? My local humane society rescued several DOZEN guinea pigs from a hoarding situation sometime earlier this month, and when I contacted them about it, they said they are mostly in foster homes being monitored for pregnancies and illness, and they would be ready for adoption around early March. I would imagine any illness would make itself known to the fosters and rescue in this amount of time? I would quarantine if I could, but I simply do not have the space in my room, and there's absolutely no way I can keep a pig anywhere in the house but my room. My parents would kill me. Not to mention we have cats, pretty well behaved but cats nonetheless, and I like being able to shut the door on them and know the pigs are completely safe while I'm at work. I can imagine the need for a quarantine if the pig comes from say craigslist, but I've already decided against that site. I want to help out one of the pigs that were rescued, plus I'll be able to choose from so many since they rescued a ton. But what do you guys think? Could I get away with this? My pigs are very healthy as it is, and I imagine after such a long amount of time being monitored any pigs I adopt would be free of illness. What is the likelihood that my current pigs could get sick? Does it happen very often? I always read horror stories about illness, but I can't help but think that these are overall healthy creatures. I did read somewhere that the likelihood of having a huge expensive vet visit is low for pigs in general. That doesn't mean I think I can't happen, because it's always a possibility. But really, what are the chances, over the first few years anyway?

Again, I rambled, I'm sorry, lol. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

First thing I would ask the humane society is if they were treated for mites when they came into the shelter. Then I'd ask if they were/are exposed to other animals in the foster home. If they bring in new animals, chances are they might still be exposed to something while in their care so I'd still do a quarantine if any of those conditions apply.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.