Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine Quarantining a baby guinea pig

Geranium

Cavy Slave
Hi guys. I think I've finally found a decent owner who's rehoming baby guinea pigs in my area. It's exciting! I've been reading about quarantine and introductions, and I've heard mixed reviews about young babies (this one will be 5-6 weeks when I adopt her) and whether or not to have a shorter quarantine period due to their loneliness. The last thing I want to do is get Tulip sick, and I've heard horror stories about skipping quarantine. But I also don't want to affect the new baby's health as she would not only be separated from all pigs, but in a room that has less activity than where Tulip is (it's the only other room available that's separate from Tulip's). I'm just wondering your guys' thoughts on the matter and what can be done in either situation to prevent sickness. Thanks!

Also, here's a pic of the cutie just cause!
Quarantining a baby guinea pig

Awwwwwwww how sweet! I only quarentined Aurora (same age) for a week, but she was from a rescue and came with vet records. Try to give her as much attention as possible during quarentine so she doesn't get so lonely

I wouldn't quarantine a baby, myself. I'd take the risk that there wouldn't be any parasites or illnesses.

The owner seems very knowledgable on pigs, besides buying from a pet store. All pictures she's shown me are of a clean C&C cage and the mom and other babies look well. She also is taking them all to the vet tomorrow. Just a tough call because I would feel terrible if anything happened to Tulip. I know @bpatters has raised and homed a lot of pigs though, so your opinion is reassuring.

@spy9doc Aw I hope so! That'd be adorable and she would be a great mother figure as she's already bossy as can be. It's good to hear a consensus on the matter, I think I will skip the quarantine. That being said, do I still need to do introductions as normal and are there any special things to watch out for?

You definitely still need to do full, proper introductions.

I agree with not quarantining the baby. They are so scared and nervous when they're that little and immediately separated.

Reminds me of my newest little one, Winter. I recently added him to my home and skipped quarantine. I did full introductions as recommended on here and it went very well. My Brownie had been alone for several months and is a few months shy of 2. Winter was 6 weeks when I got him. They're doing so great. Winter looks up to Brownie and Brownie is super patient with him. Good luck!

Here Winter got startled and hid under Brownie and he just let him!

@blessedmom they are so cute together! :) I cannot wait to introduce Tulip to the new pup. She's getting lonely, and I know she'll enjoy playing with an energetic baby. Two more weeks. Thanks for the luck-wishing!

@blessedmom they are so cute together! :) I cannot wait to introduce Tulip to the new pup. She's getting lonely, and I know she'll enjoy playing with an energetic baby. Two more weeks. Thanks for the luck-wishing!

I actually caught Brownie doing zoomies the other night with Winter! I haven't seen him do that at all since Spaz passed away! It was great!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.