Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Help needed!! I think my piggy is severely impacted!

Bomby6714

Cavy Gazer
Hi,

I know the normal response is going to be "take him to the vet" but the closest vet to me is almost 3 and a half hours away, and the one that was close to me has moved into a new state. And i dont think we have that long.

What is happening is, Sonny, my nearly 4 year old boar is very still, eyes r semi closed as tho he is wincing, possibly due to pain. He is crunching up in a ball and then will wheek a little then lay back down. He did have some debris in his rectal area and i cleaned it out but there seems to be more in there but im not 100% sure. I dont want to squish that area and hurt him. I feel like if i continue messing with him, and if he IS fixing to pass, i dont want to make that last bit of time even more stressful than it already is. I dont know what else to do. I fill the bottom of the bath with warm water and let him sit in it for a bit to mayb help get up in there and soften the blockage more but 2 poops came out in the tub, and before that (after i cleaned his bottom out) 2 poops came out after that. He still isnt active. All of this happened today, we woke up and noticed he was just laying under his little house and didnt come out for breakfast. His companion, Cher, was wheeking extremely loud while we were getting coffee so we figured she was just telling us "im hungry, hurry up!" but no, she was telling us something is wrong with Sonny. She was right there with him in his corner of the cage and snubbed her nose at her morning hay and was running back and forth to where he was and to us (Lassie moment for a piggy) She was right, something IS wrong, and i dont know what else to do to help him. I dont want to create more suffering for him but at the same time i want to save him. What else can i do? I cant go to the vet due to it being so far away (i seriously believe that when it comes to vets, the should see ALL types of animals, they r just as important as humans!!!)

Thanks in advance.

lissie

Cavy Slave
4 years is not that old. You can clean out the impaction yourself. Follow the directions on this page. https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

I don't think impaction is causing him to hunch up. There must be something else going on.

Lethargy is a very serious sign of illness. The best thing is to take him to the vet.

ashiffman

Cavy Slave
Poor little guy! Can someone tell you if there is over the counter pain medication you can give him to at least make him feel better?

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Where are you located? Maybe someone knows of a vet closer to you that can help you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.