Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated How do I stop my guinea pig from peeing and pooing on me?

SonicexA

Cavy Slave
Having to change my clothes after only two or three minutes of holding my piggy is getting frustrating!
Is there a way to teach them to go only in their cage???
Thanks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In a word, no. But many pigs will signal you when they want to go back to their cage by gently nipping at you or your clothes. The best thing to do is to have several small pads handy, and always put a pad under your pig when you're holding it.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Agreed. Mine have no problem doing their business wherever they feel like it. I always hold them in a waterproof bed or lap pad.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
exactly as bpatters stated, there is no stopping them but they will either do a "potty dance" or nip at you when they need to go. I justt keep a towel on my lap while I hold mine and they just go on it but it rarely ever gets on my clothes :)

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Domino used to pee on me a lot and then I thought I should buy a lap pad and then I did and he had learned to hold his pee in by then. lol
Just today he held his pee for about half an hour when we were driving him somewhere. I didnt teach him, I guess he just realized that as soon as he pees on his Mum then cuddle time would be over! lol
But I always put a lap pad under me just in case. :)

SonicexA

Cavy Slave
Alright, thanks. I didn't know that nipping clothes meant that. Now that I think about it, she was biting my clothes.
Thanks again for your time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.